JustDubs Online No Subs Just Dubs JustDubsOnline.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ANIMALS OF APRIL Elimination Game

+41
Requiem
Hikikomori
- The Rose -
Yuki Terumi
Crazy Potato
F.A.P.
gavvatar
Jaysp656
SHpirate
Doomguy
sayWut
Miss Elegent Serenity
BlurredExistence
Natsu Dragneel
Severus
Shadow_Links
Paper Tiger
Great_Oak
Supernatural Knight
Shogun13
hydroponiks
Wampa
Mylespol
Deathfire123
Bato
DemonEyesJoe
Ovyda
Nonononoki
Metazoxan
uallandme
MiniSiets
Valvatorez
BK-201
Noobs
Kusanagi
Mafiacow
Roy Blue
Sir Maddy
Nim
Sporadic
bedheadred
45 posters

Page 3 of 44 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23 ... 44  Next

Go down

ANIMALS OF APRIL Elimination Game - Page 3 Empty Re: ANIMALS OF APRIL Elimination Game

Post by Noobs Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:35 am

i know both and both were useful for the benefit of the greater good.

chuck was assigned to a more powerful contender.

vote : Kyubey
Noobs
Noobs
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 470
The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club

Back to top Go down

ANIMALS OF APRIL Elimination Game - Page 3 Empty Re: ANIMALS OF APRIL Elimination Game

Post by Paper Tiger Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:59 am

DemonEyesJoe wrote:ok, so...someone explain to me how when characters sacrifice people, small amounts of people, for the greater good of the world, or the universe, or anything larger than the sacrifice made. why are they labeled the "bad guy".
Oh, I'm all for sacrificing (others) for the greater good, and if you knew how literal I'm being with this you'd probably be quite disturbed... But Kyubey simply gets on me nerves, dunno why, it just does. Still at some point later on I may very well end up voting for it. And btw that quote from it is probably my favorite in the whole show.
Paper Tiger
Paper Tiger
Bronze Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:49 am

Mafiacow wrote:ANIMALS OF APRIL Elimination Game - Page 3 Contra10
Kyubey [7]
Wampa
Shogun
Kusanagi
Joe
Supernatural Knight
Nono
Mafiacow

Chuck [1]
Deathfire

This made me decide who to vote for.

Kyubey [11]
Wampa
Shogun
Kusanagi
Joe
Supernatural Knight
Nono
Mafiacow
Blue
Maddy
Noobs
Bato

Chuck [3]
Deathfire
Oak
Tiger

And can you guys please count your votes in the standings instead of just saying a name?
Bato
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 852
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Post by uallandme Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:06 am

chuck never really done much just got the crap beat out of him even in his own episode chuck of the future he got the slaughtered

Kyubey [12]
Wampa
Shogun
Kusanagi
Joe
Supernatural Knight
Nono
Mafiacow
Blue
Maddy
Noobs
Bato
Uallandme

Chuck [3]
Deathfire
Oak
Tiger
uallandme
uallandme
Shinsengumi

Male Posts : 71

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:54 am

Don't really like Kyubey but chuck is..... weird. Never says anything and is really just a worthless punching bag until the last episode where everything goes to hell.

Kyubey [13]
Wampa
Shogun
Kusanagi
Joe
Supernatural Knight
Nono
Mafiacow
Blue
Maddy
Noobs
Bato
Uallandme
Metazoxan

Chuck [3]
Deathfire
Oak
Tiger
Metazoxan
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 793

Back to top Go down

Post by Shogun13 Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:52 am

DemonEyesJoe wrote:ok, so...someone explain to me how when characters sacrifice people, small amounts of people, for the greater good of the world, or the universe, or anything larger than the sacrifice made. why are they labeled the "bad guy".

for example, kubey, girls fought and died in order to overcome entropy to save the universe (i know, that make no sence IRL, but for the sake of the show...)

and light, he killed criminals to ensure the world was a better place for all. ill never understand how these people get labeld as "bad" even though what they were doing, realistically, made PERFECT SENCE

speaking of people making sacrifices for the greater good...
ANIMALS OF APRIL Elimination Game - Page 3 Archer(Fate_stay_night)

DO NOT READ if you haven't seen Madoka.
It's because of the fact that most people reflexively use a deontological system (aka a Kantian system) as their base moral system. Basically the first rule of deontology is act so that you treat people as ends not means. Kyuubey used girls as basically batteries, and made it so that suffering, corruption, and death are his very power source. Granted the universe might have simply required that and Madoka's universe changed that law. But even still, sacrificing people for the common good is very rarely viewed as morally righteous unless a) the person acts under complete knowledge of what they do (thus Madoka almost being a Jesus like figure in canon) and b) if the actor has some cost as well. Kyuubey has neither working for him, basically appearing as a creature who tricks people into helping the universe by making their very existence pure suffering while he sits on high wondering why humanity hates him so. Light has a similar problem. He doesn't believe the system of justice works (one that is a system that sees people as ends) and instead chooses who dies, as a vigilante would with a gun. Even less than a vigilante with a gun, because he sits on high without even being there, literally taking peoples lives because the media reports that they are under arrest or under suspicion.
Archer on the other hand knows what he is doing, chooses to do it and sacrifices HIMSELF. A deontological system not only likes but loves these characters as the very maximum of heroic action, for they a)chose to give up their life for a cause greater than themselves b) can be universalized easily c) have no math involved because the act of personal sacrifice is very rarely actively meaningless.
For those who use other systems like Utilitarianism, Kyuubey can be argued as a creature who acts for the good of the universe who sacrifices the few for the many. Maybe Nietzschean maxims can be used as well. I don't feel like older systems would be very compatible though...
Shogun13
Shogun13
Philosopher's Stone
Philosopher's Stone

Male Posts : 174

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:16 am

Shogun13 wrote:

for example, kubey, girls fought and died in order to overcome entropy to save the universe (i know, that make no sence IRL, but for the sake of the show...)

and light, he killed criminals to ensure the world was a better place for all. ill never understand how these people get labeld as "bad" even though what they were doing, realistically, made PERFECT SENCE

speaking of people making sacrifices for the greater good...
ANIMALS OF APRIL Elimination Game - Page 3 Archer(Fate_stay_night)

DO NOT READ if you haven't seen Madoka.
It's because of the fact that most people reflexively use a deontological system (aka a Kantian system) as their base moral system. Basically the first rule of deontology is act so that you treat people as ends not means. Kyuubey used girls as basically batteries, and made it so that suffering, corruption, and death are his very power source. Granted the universe might have simply required that and Madoka's universe changed that law. But even still, sacrificing people for the common good is very rarely viewed as morally righteous unless a) the person acts under complete knowledge of what they do (thus Madoka almost being a Jesus like figure in canon) and b) if the actor has some cost as well. Kyuubey has neither working for him, basically appearing as a creature who tricks people into helping the universe by making their very existence pure suffering while he sits on high wondering why humanity hates him so. Light has a similar problem. He doesn't believe the system of justice works (one that is a system that sees people as ends) and instead chooses who dies, as a vigilante would with a gun. Even less than a vigilante with a gun, because he sits on high without even being there, literally taking peoples lives because the media reports that they are under arrest or under suspicion.
Archer on the other hand knows what he is doing, chooses to do it and sacrifices HIMSELF. A deontological system not only likes but loves these characters as the very maximum of heroic action, for they a)chose to give up their life for a cause greater than themselves b) can be universalized easily c) have no math involved because the act of personal sacrifice is very rarely actively meaningless.
For those who use other systems like Utilitarianism, Kyuubey can be argued as a creature who acts for the good of the universe who sacrifices the few for the many. Maybe Nietzschean maxims can be used as well. I don't feel like older systems would be very compatible though...

Good old shogun. The reason I don't like Kyubey is because like you said he just sits on high while he sacrifices others for the greater good. he doesn't try to spare them from suffering he makes it as bad as possible and then just sits there and collects the benefits. He doesn't try to make any kind of sacrifice of his own and that is where any claim of being a "Good guy" goes out the window for me. If he can't put himself on the line he has no right to manipulate others into sacrificing themselves for the greater good.

Same for light he was willing to kill anyone, even cops and innocent people, because he saw it as a means to help make the world a better place. But he loses the right to justify his actions when he proves that he can't put his own life on the line and dies rather pathetically at the end. Plus light was just crazy.
Metazoxan
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by Noobs Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:20 am

^ well kyubey justified himself by comparing their line of work like of those meat slaughter houses.
Noobs
Noobs
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 470
The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovyda Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:23 am

Don't know both, felt sad for the losing one.

Kyubey [13]
Wampa
Shogun
Kusanagi
Joe
Supernatural Knight
Nono
Mafiacow
Blue
Maddy
Noobs
Bato
Uallandme
Metazoxan

Chuck [4]
Deathfire
Oak
Tiger
Ovyda
Ovyda
Ovyda
God of Sport
God of Sport

Male Posts : 1052
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Shogun13 Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:31 am

Noobs wrote:^ well kyubey justified himself by comparing their line of work like of those meat slaughter houses.
Right, and that's why he's so monstrous from a deontological perspective. He treats people like meat who have no input to their own fate. To us, that's horrid because it's self-initiated and involves subterfuge.
Shogun13
Shogun13
Philosopher's Stone
Philosopher's Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:42 am

Ovyda wrote:Don't know both, felt sad for the losing one.

Such a good reason to vote for someone Rolling Eyes

Kyubey [14]
Wampa
Shogun
Kusanagi
Joe
Supernatural Knight
Nono
Mafiacow
Blue
Maddy
Noobs
Bato
Uallandme
Metazoxan
Spor

Chuck [4]
Deathfire
Oak
Tiger
Ovyda
Sporadic
Sporadic
Content Director
Content Director

Male Posts : 1174
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy Blue Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:40 pm

Further discussion of Kyubey (because it's fun):

Spoiler:
Roy Blue
Roy Blue
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 333

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovyda Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:56 pm

Sporadic wrote:
Ovyda wrote:Don't know both, felt sad for the losing one.

Such a good reason to vote for someone Rolling Eyes

Kyubey [14]
Wampa
Shogun
Kusanagi
Joe
Supernatural Knight
Nono
Mafiacow
Blue
Maddy
Noobs
Bato
Uallandme
Metazoxan
Spor

Chuck [4]
Deathfire
Oak
Tiger
Ovyda

Tbh, there's other reason, but just NL members would understand Very Happy
Ovyda
Ovyda
God of Sport
God of Sport

The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:13 pm

Oh, haha gotcha.
Sporadic
Sporadic
Content Director
Content Director

Male Posts : 1174
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Valvatorez Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:56 pm

I vote for Chuck, simply because he is badass.
Valvatorez
Valvatorez
Yuri Lover
Yuri Lover

Female Posts : 635
The New Release Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:03 pm

Roy Blue wrote:Further discussion of Kyubey (because it's fun):

Spoiler:

I wonder if the writer put that much thought into all that.
Metazoxan
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:14 pm

Sporadic wrote:Oh, haha gotcha.

And you voted against him lol!
Bato
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Shogun13 Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:23 pm

Metazoxan wrote:
Roy Blue wrote:Further discussion of Kyubey (because it's fun):

Spoiler:

I wonder if the writer put that much thought into all that.

It's Gen Urobachi. If anyone will, it's him. Well him and Esuna Sakae.
Spoiler:
Shogun13
Shogun13
Philosopher's Stone
Philosopher's Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by Deathfire123 Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Shogun13 wrote:

Backpedaling here as there are some innaccuracies here.
DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT VISUAL NOVEL/ANIME SPOILERS FOR FATE/STAY NIGHT ADAPTATIONS.
In Fate Route, yes, Archer does sacrifice himself, but despite his bravado, he does not do it to become a martyr. That is the opposite of what Archer's entire goal was. He "sacrificed" himself because he has already accepted the fact there would be no way he or Rin could win the Holy Grail, because even if he managed to beat Ilya and Berserker, he already knew he couldn't beat Saber and Shirou; since he is Shirou, he knows the results of the tournament, and he knew he could not beat himself since he already knew the events that transpired. It is F/SN canon that Fate Route Shirou does indeed become Archer later in life.
In Unlimited Blade Works, Archer reveals his complete distaste towards the label "Martyr" and that he doesn't want to be known as a hero, like Shirou is so fixated on becoming. Especially in the Fate Route. So Archer's "sacrifice" was not a heroic move. It was his move out of desperation and self-defeatism.
Deathfire123
Deathfire123
Silver Saint

The Anime Cafe Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club Cooking Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Shogun13 Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:50 pm

Deathfire123 wrote:
Shogun13 wrote:

Backpedaling here as there are some innaccuracies here.
DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT VISUAL NOVEL/ANIME SPOILERS FOR FATE/STAY NIGHT ADAPTATIONS.
In Fate Route, yes, Archer does sacrifice himself, but despite his bravado, he does not do it to become a martyr. That is the opposite of what Archer's entire goal was. He "sacrificed" himself because he has already accepted the fact there would be no way he or Rin could win the Holy Grail, because even if he managed to beat Ilya and Berserker, he already knew he couldn't beat Saber and Shirou; since he is Shirou, he knows the results of the tournament, and he knew he could not beat himself since he already knew the events that transpired. It is F/SN canon that Fate Route Shirou does indeed become Archer later in life.
In Unlimited Blade Works, Archer reveals his complete distaste towards the label "Martyr" and that he doesn't want to be known as a hero, like Shirou is so fixated on becoming. Especially in the Fate Route. So Archer's "sacrifice" was not a heroic move. It was his move out of desperation and self-defeatism.
Right. I never said his intention was to be a martyr. He went into a fight that he knew he couldn't win in order to give them a chance to run (I think). It doesn't matter if he doesn't think that he's worth a brass farthing if in the end he uses his life toward a goal in deontology. I'm only talking about the anime, where he gives them the ability to run if I remember right, but then something doesn't work.
He's not an ideal case by any means, but from deontology as long as he sacrifices himself before his enemy and doesn't just step in front of a bus or stab himself with his own sword, he is heroic.

Last edited by Shogun13 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shogun13
Shogun13
Philosopher's Stone
Philosopher's Stone

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovyda Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Bato wrote:

So did you Rolling Eyes
Ovyda
Ovyda
God of Sport
God of Sport

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylespol Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:01 pm

i vote Kyubey
Mylespol
Mylespol
Bronze Saint

Designing Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:16 pm

Ovyda wrote:
Bato wrote:

So did you Rolling Eyes

But i was convinced by a cool picture Very Happy
Bato
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Nim Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:59 pm

This one doesn't need my vote....
Until next time Thread! Smile
Nim
Nim
Zombie
Zombie

Male Posts : 161
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by bedheadred Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:11 am

Nazo Koumori - Rosario
vs.
Shamisen - Haruhi
bedheadred
bedheadred
Adjuchas

Female Posts : 426
Cooking Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 44 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23 ... 44  Next