JustDubs Online No Subs Just Dubs JustDubsOnline.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anime Only

+11
Ovyda
Sporadic
BlurredExistence
BK-201
Valvatorez
Sir Maddy
MiniSiets
Great_Oak
Metazoxan
Kusanagi
johnstang2
15 posters

Go down

Anime Only Empty Anime Only

Post by johnstang2 Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:50 pm

We all know that most anime starts out in manga first. If the manga is popular then they try to get an anime out of that.

Is there any anime that started out AS an anime and has no manga at all? If so what are their names?
johnstang2
johnstang2
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 1089

Back to top Go down

Anime Only Empty Re: Anime Only

Post by Kusanagi Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:57 pm

There are a few. Star Driver is the first that comes to my mind. But I have class in 2 minutes so I can't say much else atm.
Kusanagi
Kusanagi

Male Posts : 291
The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:03 pm

well Vandread technically has a manga but it is garbage. The anime came first and is much better so just pretend the manga doesn't exist.
Metazoxan
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 793
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Post by johnstang2 Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:23 pm

Metazoxan wrote:well Vandread technically has a manga but it is garbage. The anime came first and is much better so just pretend the manga doesn't exist.

And Vandread was so awesome. I wonder is it would have been that awesome it had a mange first and tried to follow the manga instead of being its own creation.
johnstang2
johnstang2
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Great_Oak Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:58 pm

I'm pretty sure most of the shows from Gainax were shows first, and got manga second.
Great_Oak
Great_Oak
Shinsengumi

Male Posts : 41

Back to top Go down

Post by Kusanagi Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:01 pm

Okay, now that I have more time I can make a list of some I know. Some will be really obscure, and some will be pretty familiar:

Angel Beats
Code Geass
Ano Natsu
Ano Hana
5 Centimeters Per Second
C
Fractale
Guilty Crown
Mawaru Penguindrum
Gundams (?)
No. 6
Sword of the Stranger
Samurai Champloo
Occult Academy
Gurren Lagann
Kusanagi
Kusanagi

Back to top Go down

Post by MiniSiets Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:54 pm

I'm pretty certain Gundam 00's anime came first before they started doing the mangas. Some gundam series are based on written material first though. I just finished Gundam Unicorn which was based on some novels written by Harutoshi Fukui (and might I add damn it was good, can't wait for the last two eps to be released).
MiniSiets
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by johnstang2 Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:31 pm

geez all of these shows are really awesome shows. They should make more like this. It really makes more sense to.
johnstang2
johnstang2
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Kusanagi Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:45 pm

johnstang2 wrote:geez all of these shows are really awesome shows. They should make more like this. It really makes more sense to.

There are a lot of equally bad ones. Plus the anime industry prefers to invest into established material like manga, light novels, etc. since they were already proven to be successful; adaptations are safer.
Kusanagi
Kusanagi

Back to top Go down

Post by johnstang2 Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:55 pm

Kusanagi wrote:
johnstang2 wrote:geez all of these shows are really awesome shows. They should make more like this. It really makes more sense to.

There are a lot of equally bad ones. Plus the anime industry prefers to invest into established material like manga, light novels, etc. since they were already proven to be successful; adaptations are safer.

Well that is logical. I bet some of the manga producers are owned by the anime producers and vice-verse.
johnstang2
johnstang2
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:34 pm

Kusanagi wrote:

and yet at least a third of those adaptations don't bother to follow the source material properly.
Metazoxan
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by johnstang2 Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:26 pm

Metazoxan wrote:
Kusanagi wrote:

and yet at least a third of those adaptations don't bother to follow the source material properly.

Well once they got a formula that works why not create their own stories not part of the manga.
johnstang2
johnstang2
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Maddy Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:16 pm

>inb4 someone says Madoka

Oh, and there's also Vividred.
Sir Maddy
Sir Maddy
Yuri Lover
Yuri Lover

Female Posts : 1017
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:15 am

johnstang2 wrote:
Metazoxan wrote:
Kusanagi wrote:

Well once they got a formula that works why not create their own stories not part of the manga.

because they suck. A good story isn't some kind of formula that you can just copy. If it was that easy everything released would be a masterpiece based on the "Formula" of past classics. Changing anything risks taking away from what people liked about it and the problem is those that adapt anime hardly seem to have any idea what the made the source material popular in the first place. I know there is a good example of this but I can't seem to remember it at the moment.

Plus just take a look at all of the "Rip off" anime. Every time something popular comes out at least a dozen series come out in the next year that obviously are copying it. About 10 out of 12 times at best these fail to be half as good as the original and the other two are at least comparable. So just taking something that is popular and trying to "Make it your own" isn't that easy.

If you are going to adapt something do it right. Don't get arrogant and think that you can take the premise of a popular series and make your own popular series from it. If you are a good enough writer to make a popular series stop stealing the name of other popular series and just make you own! For example look at Rosario + vampire. At first this seemed like it was following the manga but in reality it cut out the best parts of the manga and filled it will filler and fan service! One of my favorite parts of the series and a major plot point later in the story is completely skipped over. These people took a popular manga and decided they knew what the viewers wanted and did with the plot as they pleased. Now R+V anime isn't completely horrible and plenty of people liked it but it pales in comparison to the manga.
Metazoxan
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by johnstang2 Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:02 am

True true some of them do suck. Some people will be in my category and don't read manga. Manga is in black and white most of the time and looks to me very amateurish.

I only like anime for the reason that most American cartoons is geared to the youth. Anime has no restriction like that. However if I were to read a graphic novel I would read an American comic book. They are in color and looks so much better than Japanese manga. Some of the stories are so much more complex while some are rather amateurish.

I rather call comic books and mange - graphic novels. It just sounds so much better that way.

Now getting back on topic, since I do not read Japanese graphic novels (manga) I have no way to compare Anime to them so I watch Anime just to enjoy them rather analyze. I enjoyed Rosario + Vampire personally. I might have because I had not any expectations for it going in.

I remember the first Dune movie back in 1985. As many will know there are like 12 dune books maybe more. I have not read a single one. I loved that movie for what it was. However, I had friends that cherished the novels. They ripped that movie to shreds. The majority of the people that enjoyed that particular movie were ones that have not read a single Dune book. Anyone that has read a Dune book hated it.

Same applies to Anime. Since I prefer Anime to manga I refrain from reading any sort of manga.

I remember the anime Ranma 1/2. Only the first 3 seasons followed the manga. After that the deviated and stayed deviated. This had a reaction of pissing off the manga lovers. While those who never read the manga stayed with the anime. I happened to have every single Ranma DVD known to man in my collection. Years later I found the complete translated manga on the internet. I skimmed past the parts that was loyal to the anime. I wanted to read the arc that was very important to the Ranma story yet was never covered in the anime. Actually there was two no three things covered. Now I can't watch the DVD's I paid a lot of money to get.

So in conclusion its up to you what is more important in these matters.

nuff said ... I going to go watch some more anime.
johnstang2
johnstang2
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Valvatorez Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:22 am

I wouldnt know if this counts, but I would also say Disgaea.

Technically, it was a game first, THEN they made some novels, that no one knows if they are canon or not, THEN they made an anime, THEN they made a manga.
Valvatorez
Valvatorez
Yuri Lover
Yuri Lover

Female Posts : 635
The New Release Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by BK-201 Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:56 am

Cowboy Bebop
BK-201
BK-201
Shinigami

Male Posts : 247
The Anime Cafe Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club Film Club i4Japan The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by BlurredExistence Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:41 pm

The majority of KEY's animes (ie. Clannad, Kanon, Air) started off as Visual Novels rather than mangas.
BlurredExistence
BlurredExistence
Silver Saint

Male Posts : 309

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:59 pm

Black Rock Shooter was an AMV first if I'm not mistaken.
Sporadic
Sporadic
Content Director
Content Director

Male Posts : 1174
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovyda Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:27 pm

Kusanagi wrote:Okay, now that I have more time I can make a list of some I know. Some will be really obscure, and some will be pretty familiar:

Angel Beats
Code Geass
Ano Natsu
Ano Hana
5 Centimeters Per Second
C
Fractale
Guilty Crown
Mawaru Penguindrum
Gundams (?)
No. 6
Sword of the Stranger
Samurai Champloo
Occult Academy
Gurren Lagann

That's quite a lot and good ones. I think I should try them all as I did enjoy others.
Ovyda
Ovyda
God of Sport
God of Sport

Male Posts : 1052
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by higurashi_conan Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:49 am

johnstang2 wrote:We all know that most anime starts out in manga first. If the manga is popular then they try to get an anime out of that.

Is there any anime that started out AS an anime and has no manga at all? If so what are their names?

correction not all anime all dirived from manga or from a anime company some come from novels books light novels even other shows also visual novels and more i believe
higurashi_conan
higurashi_conan
Gillian

Male Posts : 87
The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyako~Mayushii Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:51 pm

Steins; Gate was a VN first, then an anime? Too la- Fine I'll research Nope just aa VN

Pokemon and Digimon were both vmanga less. I think Digimon didn't have any video games before the anime.
Nyako~Mayushii
Nyako~Mayushii
Gillian

Female Posts : 82
Key / Visual Art's Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by uallandme Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:05 pm

just so you know there's a tv troops page on this

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AnimeFirst
uallandme
uallandme
Shinsengumi

Male Posts : 71

Back to top Go down

Post by Natsu Dragneel Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:18 pm

Well there's:

Bakugan
Beyblade
Cardfight!! Vanguard
El Cazador de la Bruja
Eureka Seven
FLCL
Hamtaro
Hell Girl
Lagrange
Madlax
Megaman NT Warrior
Ninja Scroll
Noir
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
Please Teacher
Please Twins
Powerpuff Girls Z
Princess Tutu
Romeo x Juliet
Tiger & Bunny
Transformers
Yu-Gi-Oh!
Wolf's Rain
Zoids
Natsu Dragneel
Natsu Dragneel
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 743
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down