JustDubs Online No Subs Just Dubs JustDubsOnline.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One piece Discussion thread

+12
Ovyda
TheIllegalBiscuit
higurashi_conan
plantkingman
Bato
Supernatural Knight
baghost
Noobs
Sanji Wolfwood
LunarLexal
Pando
Metazoxan
16 posters

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

One piece Discussion thread - Page 3 Empty Re: One piece Discussion thread

Post by Noobs Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:33 am

TheIllegalBiscuit wrote:I've got 3 theories, 1 and a half plot relevant.

Spoiler:

those are pretty interesting theories and you have basis for those. that really somewhat explains why sengoku looks like in his 40's where Garp looks older. they could have at least used Bonnie's powers to make him look young.

about Zorro killing Mihawk, ill take Supernatural Knight's thinking. i will not believe one character is dead unless it is said/shown.
Noobs
Noobs
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 470
The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:43 am

Noobs wrote:
TheIllegalBiscuit wrote:I've got 3 theories, 1 and a half plot relevant.

Spoiler:

those are pretty interesting theories and you have basis for those. that really somewhat explains why sengoku looks like in his 40's where Garp looks older. they could have at least used Bonnie's powers to make him look young.

about Zorro killing Mihawk, ill take Supernatural Knight's thinking. i will not believe one character is dead unless it is said/shown.

Even if death is shown you should still be skeptical of it if that character was important.
Metazoxan
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 793
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:31 pm

Zoro wouldnt even be able to kill Mihawk in his sleep. So im writing that theory off. Mihawk is WAY out of Zoro's league, even now.

And Sengoku, this is him after timeskip. Click on your own risk, theres not much spoilers, just how he looks now
Spoiler:
Bato
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 852

Back to top Go down

Post by LunarLexal Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:03 pm

Metazoxan wrote:
Even if death is shown you should still be skeptical of it if that character was important.

It's funny, in anime when someone says that someone died or is dead (Unless an antagonist says it) it's more often true than when it actually shows someone dying.

As for the theories, they're pretty interesting. I'm definitely interested in what Crocodile have to hide, and as crazy as it sounds, that actually sounds plausible.
LunarLexal
LunarLexal
Adjuchas

Male Posts : 565
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Noobs Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:26 am

Bato wrote:Zoro wouldnt even be able to kill Mihawk in his sleep. So im writing that theory off. Mihawk is WAY out of Zoro's league, even now.

And Sengoku, this is him after timeskip. Click on your own risk, theres not much spoilers, just how he looks now
Spoiler:

you said now, yes he now looks old. but he looks younger before. also, though its its anime (and anything is possible in anime), one cant have that lots of white hair in just two years. also the length. if what that guy said was true, then they used bonnie's powers to make sengoku younger.
Noobs
Noobs
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:38 am

Could be.
Bato
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by higurashi_conan Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:51 pm

anyone know what happened to the weak--- i mean Gekko Moriah they said absolutely nothing after the war
higurashi_conan
higurashi_conan
Gillian

Male Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:04 pm

higurashi_conan wrote:anyone know what happened to the weak--- i mean Gekko Moriah they said absolutely nothing after the war

Coppied from the one piece wikia, might be little spoilers in it but i doubt there are.

Spoiler:

In short:
Spoiler:
Bato
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by higurashi_conan Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:29 pm

Bato wrote:
higurashi_conan wrote:anyone know what happened to the weak--- i mean Gekko Moriah they said absolutely nothing after the war

Coppied from the one piece wikia, might be little spoilers in it but i doubt there are.

Spoiler:

In short:
Spoiler:

i kinda agree moriah was to weak to be a shichibukai i mean all he could do was steal shadows thats a pretty crappy power
higurashi_conan
higurashi_conan
Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Yup but its said that his shadow powers did save him from flamingo.
Bato
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by higurashi_conan Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Bato wrote:Yup but its said that his shadow powers did save him from flamingo.

true very true
higurashi_conan
higurashi_conan
Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:47 pm

LAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW Finally he showed up Very Happy The way he joined the warlords - AWESOME! Cant wait to see what happens next
Bato
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by TheIllegalBiscuit Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:28 am

Noobs wrote:that really somewhat explains why sengoku looks like in his 40's where Garp looks older. they could have at least used Bonnie's powers to make him look young.

Even if death is shown you should still be skeptical of it if that character was important.[/quote]

I don't really see Sengoku (or Garp) in the loop for the whole Bonnie thing if it turns out to be true. He never really hit me as part of the whole void period conspiracy thing, or evil enough for that matter.

As for the Mihawk thing; yeah, it's a shot in the dark, but it's just the way I'd guess it from a storytelling standpoint with the material given.

It seems like the warlords are meant to be fairly heavy presences in the story, even if offscreen and unmentioned for a while, meaning they should get more interesting and unique methods of characterization in comparison to most other characters, including warlords that have been fleshed out before them.

So here's my thought process:

Zoro's now portrayed as more monstrously powerful than he was even before the timeskip, with a new wound that's more visually prominent than any of his others.

-We know that each of Zoro's permanent wounds tells a story, from the fore-mentioned chest scar to the ankle stitches. His eye likely tells one other than "A lot of time has passed and I've been training".

Zoro no longer seems as ambitious as he used to.

-We used to hear of Zoro's dream a slightly less frequently than we've heard Luffy's "King of the Pirates". We don't hear it at all anymore.

-A lot of Zoro's fights used to be centered on challenges Zoro would have to overcome in order to be better than Mihawk; beating an opponent with more swords, cutting through steel, using ranged attacks, ect.

I'll give a freebie to him for the Fishman Island arc's fight, as most of the Straw Hat's battles were apparently meant to show how much they've grown from the timeskip. However, without spoiling anything, in this current arc we'll see Zoro's got a pretty restricting personal complex when going up against his main opponent for this story, and he's he's pretty cool about not overcoming it throughout the fight. My guess is because he's already beaten Mihawk, achieved his goal, and is more lenient on his progress rate now, it would also explain why he's not more pissed about losing to roidrage Hody.

Finally, again, we haven't seen Mihawk since the timeskip. With all of the little tip-bits above stacked, I think having Mihawk dead and characterizing him posthumously through flashbacks of Zoro's training sessions would be the most unique way to go.

Now thinking back, we also haven't seen Moriah since the skip, and with Mihawk's Dracula theme and new relation to Perona, it could be possible to see them showing up for the same plot point in some way, but I just see the dead thing being much more interesting.

Feel free to kick it, I'm not even entirely behind it myself.

TheIllegalBiscuit
Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:24 am

Look at it this way. You have the 4 emporors. Shanks being most likely the strongest of them all and Mihawk used to fight with Shanks all the time and actually putting up a good fight with him. That would mean Mihawk has the strength of an emporor. Zoro is still far away from being that strong. Zoro is in no way a match for Mihawk.

If Mihawk is dead or even beaten i'd be very dissapointed in Oda. That would ruin a great part of the story. But since Oda hasnt dissapointed me in all these 584 eps im sure hes alive and Zoro is still not the strongest swordsman Very Happy

About Sengoku your right. Watch the first ep after the whitebeard war (i think 490) and you'll see he is a dedicated fair marine. He is one of the few who isnt corrupt, and the ones who are corrupt used to scared of Sengoku finding out. I dont believe for a second he was any part of the void century.
Bato
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by TheIllegalBiscuit Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:05 am

Bato wrote:Look at it this way. You have the 4 emporors. Shanks being most likely the strongest of them all and Mihawk used to fight with Shanks all the time and actually putting up a good fight with him. That would mean Mihawk has the strength of an emporor. Zoro is still far away from being that strong. Zoro is in no way a match for Mihawk.

If Mihawk is dead or even beaten i'd be very dissapointed in Oda. That would ruin a great part of the story. But since Oda hasnt dissapointed me in all these 584 eps im sure hes alive and Zoro is still not the strongest swordsman Very Happy

We also see Mihawk on equal footing with Vista for the majority of Marineford, who's not only not an emperor, but supposedly weaker than Marco, Ace, Jozu, Thatch, and of course, WB himself. I think Oda saying Shanks was past rival to Mihawk was more of a way to give up an idea of Shanks' skill as a swordsman, not the other way around. Either way, even in a shounen, power level don't dictate story direction, it seems like character ambition does here.

Also, how would killing Mihawk ruin the story? Roger's been dead the entire story so far with virtually no on-screen action and he's arguably one of the most bad-ass characters to hear about.

TheIllegalBiscuit
Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:29 am

Roger is the strongest pirate in the world of One Piece. But he died before the story started and the whole story is about him, his death and the treasure he left. Mihawk was introduced alive. A world of difference right there.

Aside from that, Mihawk is 1 of the most awesome characters in One Piece. I'd like to keep him alive for a while longer and it would be way too early to let Zoro accomplish his goal. Dont forget that we still have around 500 eps to go.

And that Vista guy, he was part of Whitebeards crew. I dont know how strong he was but im pretty sure Zoro cant compete with any of the whitebeard crew members yet. Maybe after the timeskip but not before it. And theres no way this Vista guy could fight equally with Mihawk if Mihawk actually gives his all. You saw Mihawks attitude in the war, he wasnt the most motivated person and was only there to fight whitebeard, not actually kill any of them.

You can have all the theorys you want about Zoro killing Mihawk in the timeskip but i dont believe one bit of it.

edit: and after the timeskip Zoro hasnt had an opponent he had so much trouble with that he should bring up his goal in order to motivate himself to beat that strong opponent. Hody wasnt Zoro's opponent, he was Luffy's. And Hody also wasnt even that strong.

Last edited by Bato on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:32 am; edited 2 times in total
Bato
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovyda Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:30 am

I see this thread is quite interesting, nice discussion going on while I think latest episodes are quite disappointing. At least Law showed up ^^
Ovyda
Ovyda
God of Sport
God of Sport

Male Posts : 1052
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Supernatural Knight Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:00 am

Well the whole Zoro beating Mihawk theory is interesting and all and I guess it could have been a way to cover the death of Mihawks actual VA, sadly he passed away last year. So I thought that perhaps he could have been written out as a method to cope so they wouldn't have to change VA's, as seen with Chopper at Water 7 where his VA got sick I believe it was.

Anyway I would believe that this theory is not the case for a couple of reasons.

Firstly as stated it would be too early for Zoro to have achieved his dream of becoming the greatest swordsman. They stated to begin with that he only joined up with Luffy so he could become the best, now if he accomplished this he basically is free. It is debatable whether or not that he would have decided that the bonds have grown overwhelmingly powerful between him and the crew and stay but lets not start something that has no definite answer.

Secondly the newest episode which brought Law back [awesome appearance, and he is even a Shichibukai now] mentioned Mihawk. Now the interesting thing is that they only mentioned 3 of the shichibukai, being Boa, Mihawk, and Doflamingo. I believe this is because they are the only remaining ones left from the war. There is no point in mentioning Law joining the ranks of them if the previous ones were dead. Obviously Jinbei and Blackbeard are no longer ones, Moria was turned on and his condition is unknown while the same thing can be said about the original Kuma.

And my third reason for Mihawk not being dead comes from a little MAL searching, according to Mihawks bio he has two Japanese VA's. Now this is usually seen when a flashback is shown and they are children, but since this never happened this would have to be the new VA taking over the role. While this was two years ago that the original stopped voicing him [according to wiki at least as specified by years active] it would seem a waste to get a new VA for him to only voice him for a couple of scenes. Now this seems a bit weak for a reason, but my original 3rd paragraph was shot to pieces when I found his retirement age after posting.
just for extra info the original VA died in April last year.

Thats how I see that theory at least

Last edited by Supernatural Knight on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : found extra info)
Supernatural Knight
Supernatural Knight
Shinigami

Male Posts : 206

Back to top Go down

Post by TheIllegalBiscuit Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:38 am

I could get behind everything but this part.

Supernatural Knight wrote:It is debatable whether or not that he would have decided that the bonds have grown overwhelmingly powerful between him and the crew and stay but lets not start something that has no definite answer.

I feel like Z offering his head to Kuma in place of Luffy and Sanji's makes this a little less than debatable. I feel like at this point the Straw Hats value each other more than their dreams.

TheIllegalBiscuit
Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:41 am

Thats pretty sad actually about his voice actor :/ But yeah on the new guys page was a comment ''i actually like this Mihawk better than the previous one'' so he should have already voiced Mihawk at some point.

And the voice actors work for toei animation. The story is made by Oda and he doesnt need voice actors to make his manga. Would he really be willing to make such a huge change just because toei animation is too lazy to search for a new voice actor? Theres been more cases of voice actors dying, Smoker's for example and this new guy is also really good and its barely noticeable.
Bato
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovyda Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Supernatural Knight wrote:Well the whole Zoro beating Mihawk theory is interesting and all and I guess it could have been a way to cover the death of Mihawks actual VA, sadly he passed away last year. So I thought that perhaps he could have been written out as a method to cope so they wouldn't have to change VA's, as seen with Chopper at Water 7 where his VA got sick I believe it was.

Anyway I would believe that this theory is not the case for a couple of reasons.

Firstly as stated it would be too early for Zoro to have achieved his dream of becoming the greatest swordsman. They stated to begin with that he only joined up with Luffy so he could become the best, now if he accomplished this he basically is free. It is debatable whether or not that he would have decided that the bonds have grown overwhelmingly powerful between him and the crew and stay but lets not start something that has no definite answer.

Secondly the newest episode which brought Law back [awesome appearance, and he is even a Shichibukai now] mentioned Mihawk. Now the interesting thing is that they only mentioned 3 of the shichibukai, being Boa, Mihawk, and Doflamingo. I believe this is because they are the only remaining ones left from the war. There is no point in mentioning Law joining the ranks of them if the previous ones were dead. Obviously Jinbei and Blackbeard are no longer ones, Moria was turned on and his condition is unknown while the same thing can be said about the original Kuma.

And my third reason for Mihawk not being dead comes from a little MAL searching, according to Mihawks bio he has two Japanese VA's. Now this is usually seen when a flashback is shown and they are children, but since this never happened this would have to be the new VA taking over the role. While this was two years ago that the original stopped voicing him [according to wiki at least as specified by years active] it would seem a waste to get a new VA for him to only voice him for a couple of scenes. Now this seems a bit weak for a reason, but my original 3rd paragraph was shot to pieces when I found his retirement age after posting.
just for extra info the original VA died in April last year.

Thats how I see that theory at least

I was too lazy to answer his theory, but you wrote everything I had in mind except for 3rd reason. This one I didn't not think of.
Ovyda
Ovyda
God of Sport
God of Sport

The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by LunarLexal Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:05 pm

I could have sworn I posted some theories of my own about the current arc in here... Than posted later, when the recent arc came out and showed law, about how that episode blew my theories out of the water... Where did I post them?
LunarLexal
LunarLexal
Adjuchas

Male Posts : 565
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Noobs Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:49 am

i just have this crazy theory now that Law appeared.

what if Law was the samuari's lost son and that gas person is that crazy doctor from thriller bark who has now ate a devil fruit.
Noobs
Noobs
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ovyda Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:42 am

You never know Very Happy But it would be weird that this samurai started to search for his son after so many years and I think Law is famous enough to find him on some newspaper or wanted posts... Nah the kid must be still young, one of the running ones with Chopper and Nami imo.
Ovyda
Ovyda
God of Sport
God of Sport

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:00 am

But then he should recognize his fathers head right? All the kids saw him since they were scared of him
Bato
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next