JustDubs Online No Subs Just Dubs JustDubsOnline.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xbox 720 to use always-on DRM? It would doom.....

+8
MiniSiets
Doomguy
Valvatorez
DemonEyesJoe
Tsuyushi
JAMSM
Hatless
Kamn
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Xbox 720 to use always-on DRM? It would doom..... Empty Xbox 720 to use always-on DRM? It would doom.....

Post by Kamn Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:03 am

Rumors have recently resurfaced that the next Xbox will employ DRM that requires you to be online before you can access your games, whether it be for the purpose offline play or not. If true, it seems Microsoft would be releasing its next flagship piece of hardware with an install base of angry users, perhaps dooming the console from its beginning.

Most forms of offline-based DRM have been defeated soon after it has been released. When a DRM is so aggressive that it was difficult to actually bypass, it tends to hurt legitimate customers, who ironically then have to turn to piracy in order to play (or fix) their legitimately purchased title. So, as the internet became more prominent, clever developers realized that a relatively easy way to employ effective DRM is to require a user to be connected to the developer’s own servers in order to authenticate, generally referred to as always-on DRM. Though relatively rare due to the inherent flaw of the internet not always being available, always-on DRM causes an enormous ruckus whenever a game employs it, regardless of what game. Now, rumors have resurfaced that Microsoft’s next Xbox will use a form of always-on DRM, requiring users to be connected to the internet at all times in order to play games. The rumor, whether true or not, is nuts either way...

Continue Reading..
Kamn
Kamn
Gillian

Male Posts : 92

Back to top Go down

Xbox 720 to use always-on DRM? It would doom..... Empty Re: Xbox 720 to use always-on DRM? It would doom.....

Post by Hatless Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:35 am

lets get this straight...

according to rumors both the PS and Xbox systems of the next gen will be covered in ridiculous DRM, meanwhile a bunch of other free to play or steam based consoles are in production or design.

what are Sony and Microsoft thinking, if they do this they will loose a large amount of their customers
Hatless
Hatless
Bronze Saint

Male Posts : 142
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Designing Club Cooking Club The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Xbox 720 to use always-on DRM? It would doom..... Empty Re: Xbox 720 to use always-on DRM? It would doom.....

Post by JAMSM Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:44 am

Hatless wrote:what are Sony and Microsoft thinking, if they do this they will loose a large amount of their customers

all of

fix'd
JAMSM
JAMSM
Silver Saint

Male Posts : 99

Back to top Go down

Post by Hatless Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:48 am

thanks XD
Hatless
Hatless
Bronze Saint

The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Designing Club Cooking Club The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by JAMSM Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:10 am

don't mention it, just saddens me to see two of the names in gaming turn so... dumb
JAMSM
JAMSM
Silver Saint

Male Posts : 99

Back to top Go down

Post by Kamn Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:36 am

Kamn
Kamn
Gillian

Male Posts : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuyushi Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:31 pm

Microsoft, lol.
Tsuyushi
Tsuyushi
Bronze Saint

Male Posts : 175
The Anime Cafe Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonEyesJoe Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:59 pm

lol, thread is so crazy, think about this logicly, if not, here someone who has done it for you

also

Xbox 720 to use always-on DRM? It would doom..... 1832249-pc_gaming_master_race
DemonEyesJoe
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 997
Key / Visual Art's Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuyushi Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:55 pm

DemonEyesJoe wrote:
Xbox 720 to use always-on DRM? It would doom..... 1832249-pc_gaming_master_race
Enjoy your carpal tunnel.
Tsuyushi
Tsuyushi
Bronze Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Valvatorez Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:47 pm

Xbox 720 to use always-on DRM? It would doom..... Whatisthis
Valvatorez
Valvatorez
Yuri Lover
Yuri Lover

Female Posts : 635
The New Release Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Doomguy Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:15 pm

I am the glorious PC master race!

So the rumor is that now I always have to be online to just to play a game? They better start paying for my internet then. Not to mention this will probably destroy all used games. Wait thats the idea isn't it? I think its time for the PC to regain it's dominance if this is the case.

I didn't even know you can pirate an xbox or ps3 game. This is just a stab at used games that "do not" cost them any money. After all it was already sold to somebody.

What would I know though? I play mostly old PC games anyway.
Doomguy
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonEyesJoe Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:25 pm

you all do realize that games are 60$ to begin with mostly BECASUE of used games right? Devs get NOTHING from a used game. OFC, due to price gouging, they wont drop below 50 ever again. Used games MUCH BIGGER PROBLEM than pirated games
DemonEyesJoe
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Valvatorez Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:39 pm

Doomguy wrote:

I didn't even know you can pirate an xbox or ps3 game.

I believe it is putting the ISO on a disc, but then again, I could be missing steps.
Valvatorez
Valvatorez
Yuri Lover
Yuri Lover

Female Posts : 635
The New Release Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by MiniSiets Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:53 pm

DemonEyesJoe wrote:you all do realize that games are 60$ to begin with mostly BECASUE of used games right? Devs get NOTHING from a used game. OFC, due to price gouging, they wont drop below 50 ever again. Used games MUCH BIGGER PROBLEM than pirated games
Right, and I'm sure cars are so expensive because of used sales...

The excuse that publishers gave for the rising cost of games was originally because of rising development costs for AAA titles. If they're now saying it's because of the used market then it's pretty curious that they didn't mention it before.

Valvatorez wrote:I believe it is putting the ISO on a disc, but then again, I could be missing steps.
That doesn't work. You have to jailbreak your system's OS to allow for pirated games because otherwise it will detect when a game is running on a home ripped DVD. This usually means as a consequence that you won't be able to grab updates anymore or use PSN/XBL. Also at that point people don't usually bother with discs; they'll just load all of the games onto the hard drive. I've seen a jailbroken Xbox before that in addition to having several Xbox games directly installed to the hard drive, it had NES and SNES emulators with every game ROM imaginable thrown on there.
MiniSiets
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Doomguy Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:09 am

Does it have the red ring of death!? How can I forget the real reason I would not buy another xbox? Somehow my second one is alive. Sometimes though it would freeze on random games and i'm concerned about how long this thing will last.

(My NES and all my gameboys still work hmm....)
Doomguy
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuyushi Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:29 am

Doomguy wrote:Does it have the red ring of death!? How can I forget the real reason I would not buy another xbox? Somehow my second one is alive. Sometimes though it would freeze on random games and i'm concerned about how long this thing will last.

(My NES and all my gameboys still work hmm....)
I got a PS3 after my 2nd Xbox broke xD.
It's a shame because most of my friends play on 360.

Yeah... But my GameBoys still work, my PS1, PS2, Gamecube, PSP, all still work.
360 is my only gaming console to break, and it happened TWICE. Therefore I will NEVER trust Microsoft again.
Tsuyushi
Tsuyushi
Bronze Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonEyesJoe Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:31 am

MiniSiets wrote:
DemonEyesJoe wrote:you all do realize that games are 60$ to begin with mostly BECASUE of used games right? Devs get NOTHING from a used game. OFC, due to price gouging, they wont drop below 50 ever again. Used games MUCH BIGGER PROBLEM than pirated games
Right, and I'm sure cars are so expensive because of used sales...

The excuse that publishers gave for the rising cost of games was originally because of rising development costs for AAA titles. If they're now saying it's because of the used market then it's pretty curious that they didn't mention it before.

used games have always been around, but once games hit about 40$ is when it became big time. the only problem with screwing over game-stop is that they are also the biggest distributor of their pre-orders. the most money made for a game is within the first month, after that, you rely on people buying new copies over used, and the PC market. hell, you can get a used game the DAY AFTER it came out
DemonEyesJoe
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcmac Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:33 am

Kamn wrote:Also for you ps3 fans

Not just microsoft doing it....

I know where this rumour came from, and it's an overreaction. Sony patented the tech to block used games, but we have no way of knowing if they'll use it. I'll wait until more is known about the PS4 before reacting to this news, and if any company adopts this they'll be shooting themselves in the foot. Although I'm a fan of Sony, I'd have no qualms jumping over to the WiiU.
Dcmac
Dcmac
Gillian

Male Posts : 74
Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuyushi Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:36 am

I don't buy used games often anyway.
The last one I bought was the first Little Big Planet and that was... like 3 years ago? I forget.
Tsuyushi
Tsuyushi
Bronze Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Hatless Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:49 am

^ your money... it grows on trees

Xbox 720 to use always-on DRM? It would doom..... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJbzCE9ibely-VUlEkY9QJ6V8N4dVOzWEjFkphHAJN-lS6trTY
Hatless
Hatless
Bronze Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuyushi Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:54 am

Hatless wrote:^ your money... it grows on trees

Xbox 720 to use always-on DRM? It would doom..... Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJbzCE9ibely-VUlEkY9QJ6V8N4dVOzWEjFkphHAJN-lS6trTY
Lol, to be fair it's not as if I buy a crap ton of games every year, maybe like 3-5 (PS3 titles). This year I won't be getting many, I've already Pre-ordered Crysis 3 but other than that "The Last of Us" will be my only other $60 title this year since the PS4 is on the horizon.
Vita games on the other hand.. I have no clue. Soul Sacrifice is preordered, and Ys: Memories of Celceta is coming out later in the year. I'll probably pick up some other Vita games on impulse (haven't played Gravity Rush yet)
Tsuyushi
Tsuyushi
Bronze Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonEyesJoe Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:27 am

i dont buy any game for 60$ anymore, back when they were 40 on the Gcube, i would buy new games, but 60 is NEVER worth it, however, devs still get my money as i get my games off steam
DemonEyesJoe
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Tsuyushi Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:30 am

DemonEyesJoe wrote:i dont buy any game for 60$ anymore, back when they were 40 on the Gcube, i would buy new games, but 60 is NEVER worth it, however, devs still get my money as i get my games off steam
Never worth it?
Eh, I logged over 600 hours into MAG, I'd say that was worth $60.
Played through Tales of Vesperia a couple times, I think that was worth it.
And Skyrim... Well yeah, still haven't finished all the content.
But yeah, I have a few games where I play for a while then decide I don't like it and sell it at a loss.
Tsuyushi
Tsuyushi
Bronze Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonEyesJoe Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:54 am

Tsuyushi wrote:
DemonEyesJoe wrote:i dont buy any game for 60$ anymore, back when they were 40 on the Gcube, i would buy new games, but 60 is NEVER worth it, however, devs still get my money as i get my games off steam
Never worth it?
Eh, I logged over 600 hours into MAG, I'd say that was worth $60.
Played through Tales of Vesperia a couple times, I think that was worth it.
And Skyrim... Well yeah, still haven't finished all the content.
But yeah, I have a few games where I play for a while then decide I don't like it and sell it at a loss.

i got duke nukem for 60$ and BF3 for 60$ and i found both to be a waste, i still play BF3, but its rare. Skyrim....i dont remember, i think i waited till it was on sale for 40 though. Also, the new EA shooter, MOH:Warfighter, i BELIVE was 70$....how long will we let this go on? games are not gas
DemonEyesJoe
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcmac Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:36 am

Tsuyushi wrote:Eh, I logged over 600 hours into MAG, I'd say that was worth $60.

Y-you what? Impressive, I think I sat around 90-100 hours.
Dcmac
Dcmac
Gillian

Male Posts : 74
Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next