JustDubs Online No Subs Just Dubs JustDubsOnline.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say

+14
Imagination
Tsuyushi
Doomguy
vladiris
DemonEyesJoe
Nim
Valvatorez
MiniSiets
Belsfir
Shadow_Links
Metazoxan
The7thSeal
Severus
Keiichi Morisato
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say Empty The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say

Post by Keiichi Morisato Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:23 pm

If MSFT really is going this route, I can see a lot of pissed off gamers.

For instance, Like if Hikikomori had and Xbox on their limited internet. That wouldnt fly

"Unless something has changed recently," one of the sources told us over email, "Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used."

The Next Xbox Has Mandatory Kinect, Game-Swapping and New Controllers, According To Leaked Info
The next-generation Xbox—the one that will follow the still-popular Xbox 360—will run multiple… Read…
Durango is the codename for the next-gen Xbox.

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

So I can at least agree with this angry guy. I wouldnt buy a machine with a requirement like that just like I absolutely will not buy a game with that requirement.

The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say

Last edited by Keiichi Morisato on Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keiichi Morisato
Keiichi Morisato
Professional Procrastinator

Male Posts : 877
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say Empty Re: The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say

Post by Severus Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:46 pm

Sadly, PlayStation might be getting a new user if this really happens.
Severus
Severus
White Hat
White Hat

Male Posts : 270
The Anime Cafe Designing Club The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say Empty Re: The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say

Post by Keiichi Morisato Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Also there comes these statements from Adam Orth, who is a creative director at Microsoft Studios.

The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say Ku-xlarge

If all this is true, it just ensures that I will NEVER buy an Xbox (PS4 WILL NOT REQUIRE THIS)

Keiichi Morisato
Keiichi Morisato

The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by The7thSeal Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:17 pm

Severus wrote:Sadly, PlayStation might be getting a new user if this really happens.

Same here. Also, there are a lot of people, usually families that just want to play those strange family and Kinect games that I've never gotten into. What about them? Effectively, Mircosoft, if this is true (I may just start praying to God that it isn't), have killed off a sizable chunk of their consumer base, even before taking into account those that don't have strong internet connections, or spotty connections.

Also:
Keiichi Morisato wrote:The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say Ku-xlarge
This? Really pulling in the customers there, genius.
I believe that one of his Tweets was 'Why would I live in a place with crap connectivity?' So, it's the consumers fault for not living in the right place? I'm trying to understand how this guy even got his job in the first place.
The7thSeal
The7thSeal
Gillian

Male Posts : 96
Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:34 pm

The7thSeal wrote:
Severus wrote:Sadly, PlayStation might be getting a new user if this really happens.

Same here. Also, there are a lot of people, usually families that just want to play those strange family and Kinect games that I've never gotten into. What about them? Effectively, Mircosoft, if this is true (I may just start praying to God that it isn't), have killed off a sizable chunk of their consumer base, even before taking into account those that don't have strong internet connections, or spotty connections.

Also:
Keiichi Morisato wrote:The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say Ku-xlarge
This? Really pulling in the customers there, genius.
I believe that one of his Tweets was 'Why would I live in a place with crap connectivity?' So, it's the consumers fault for not living in the right place? I'm trying to understand how this guy even got his job in the first place.

This guy is an idiot. Yes many things today have online connections but most devices that require an always on connection are like that because the data itself is online. MMORPG's require a connection because that is the nature of that kinda game. Those can't be helped but other games don't need that and forcing this kinda thing when it isn't needed causes all kinds of issues. First of all what if some customers don't have internet or have a really bad connection? But that is obvious so why not just look at things from a moral perspective? If you buy a game then you should at that point own that copy right? it is your's to play. But now Microsoft is saying that no you don't you still have to ask for their permission every time you want to activate it? Which is a way means you don't own it you are just renting it. Also what about in the future when the next Gen comes out? Will they keep supporting the old system or will they shut down that connection and flush peoples money down the drain?

Seriously the PS4 rumor about the "Anti- used game system" was bad but this is worse. I bet they'll lose a very large chuck of their users if they pull this crap. I mean what does the Xbox really have going for it that Sony and Nintendo can't do? There might be a couple exclusive series but besides those that just can't live without those series who is going to take this kinda crap?
Metazoxan
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 793
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow_Links Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:48 pm

This rumor along with the DRMs (btw they are one and the same, the online connection is how they enforce the anti-used game) thing have been floating around for a while. Its disappointing that MS has let the rumors go unanswered for so long. Definitely a deal buster for me and a lot of others. Wasn't there supposed to be an announcement in April?

Some more of the conversation. Still confused if its satire...
The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say Orthytwitter

btw i live in Blacksburg. Not sure why that came up...
Shadow_Links
Shadow_Links
Shinigami

Male Posts : 142
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Belsfir Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:59 pm

Its geared towards stomping out modded gaming...
Belsfir
Belsfir
Bronze Saint

Male Posts : 138
Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by The7thSeal Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:01 pm

They already have permanent bans for that. Why would they do this the majority of Xbox community that don't mod?
The7thSeal
The7thSeal
Gillian

Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by MiniSiets Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:53 pm

The fact that Microsoft has let these rumors run on for so long and that Orth's comments on his Twitter account are reinforcing them makes the future of the next Xbox look very grim at this point. I would think if a lot of negative rumors were floating around about my company's next major product I would want to shoot them down right away, unless of course it's exactly what I want to do after all.

It's hard to tell if Orth is trolling or not because I could honestly see someone in his privileged place acting like that. If he's completely serious though then I have no respect for him. His analogies are so insulting and comically bad, and the idea that most devices are "always on" is laughable. Really? My smart phone isn't even always on. My computer isn't always on. My PS3 isn't always on. My Wii isn't always on. Actually, I can't think of a single device in my house that requires an Internet connection to function right now. There are individual services on some of my devices that require it, sure, but nothing that shuts down use of the device entirely without it. Glad I sold my 360 and never looked back.
MiniSiets
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Valvatorez Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Listen to this:

Now look at this:
The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say Jedi_army

Jedi = People who buy microsoft stuff

Droids = Microsoft

Battle we shall!
Valvatorez
Valvatorez
Yuri Lover
Yuri Lover

Female Posts : 635
The New Release Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Keiichi Morisato Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:50 pm

Keiichi Morisato
Keiichi Morisato

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:06 pm

They aren't even trying to deny the Rumors despite several leaks which is in a way worse than just comming out and saying it. That makes it seem like they know this is a dick move and that customers will be pissed but they are hoping that if they can keep it quiet long enough they can hype people up by announcing positive features so that once it comes out they won't be able to resist buying it even with the "always on" crap. If everyone learns about it now you can bet they will lose customers left and right who won't even bother to get interested in the next system no matter what features it has.

look I get part of why they are doing this. They are a buisness and they want to make money. With people saving money and spending less on things like games as well as services like online shopping and gamestop selling so many used games they aren't making the profits they used to. However if you make good games and offer good deals you should still make a decent profit and while that is harder to do than it sounds that is just how business works and you can't just blame all profit losses on piracy. I can understand wanting to make buisness changes to adapt to the changing market. But what just isn't acceptable is taking away the rights of legitimate customers with "always on" systems and "One consol per game" DRM. if you buy a game you should be able to play it freely not have to log onto a server to get permission to play or only be allowed to play your game on one console. You are punishing valid customers just so that you can force the market to return to the way it used to be instead of trying to actually adapt. Back when nearly every copy sold was through you and profits were always going up. They need to stop trying to screw over customers just to turn a profit and learn how to actually adapt their business model.
Metazoxan
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by Belsfir Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:08 am

The7thSeal wrote:They already have permanent bans for that. Why would they do this the majority of Xbox community that don't mod?

If you install game changing mods for an xbox game, for instance for Skyrim or something, the mod publishers usually give you a warning to play with it without an online connection. So, putting two together, there probably is some sort of detection software they use to find out if you have been modding....

Microsoft and game devs have an undying hate for mods. It is no surprise they would pull a move like that, these big companies showed us that they don't care about the fan base when DRM was brought up....
Belsfir
Belsfir
Bronze Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Severus Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:49 am

Belsfir wrote:
The7thSeal wrote:They already have permanent bans for that. Why would they do this the majority of Xbox community that don't mod?

If you install game changing mods for an xbox game, for instance for Skyrim or something, the mod publishers usually give you a warning to play with it without an online connection. So, putting two together, there probably is some sort of detection software they use to find out if you have been modding....

Microsoft and game devs have an undying hate for mods. It is no surprise they would pull a move like that, these big companies showed us that they don't care about the fan base when DRM was brought up....

And that's what make some games great. Skyrim for example, some of the mods that come out actually make the game better. Thats why I like bethesda, because they actually like modders and give them tools to do it... If it wasn't for mods, we wouldn't have Dota2 or LoL. Developers actually get a lot of the ideas they have from people at home modding.
Severus
Severus
White Hat
White Hat

Male Posts : 270
The Anime Cafe Designing Club The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Nim Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:52 pm

The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say Tumblr_lrsnzdBKye1qafrh6

DAMNIT MICROSOFT!

WHY?!?!?!!
Nim
Nim
Zombie
Zombie

Male Posts : 161
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonEyesJoe Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:16 pm

The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say PC_Gaming_Master_Race_by_Claidheam_Righ

The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say Z7VYZ

The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say 8tGx8
DemonEyesJoe
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 997
Key / Visual Art's Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by vladiris Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:53 am

That is not good news ,but maybe they will change opinion in a future.
vladiris
vladiris
Lab Member

Male Posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by Doomguy Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:40 am

Maybe they are testing the reaction? Didn't Sony say they won't do this? This would make no business sense at all. Would it not cost them money to keep track of all those online consoles at once?

After that Simcity fiasco at EA...
Doomguy
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Keiichi Morisato Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:59 am

Doomguy wrote:Maybe they are testing the reaction? Didn't Sony say they won't do this? This would make no business sense at all. Would it not cost them money to keep track of all those online consoles at once?

After that Simcity fiasco at EA...

My point exactly
Keiichi Morisato
Keiichi Morisato

Back to top Go down

Post by The7thSeal Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:01 am

DemonEyesJoe wrote:The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say PC_Gaming_Master_Race_by_Claidheam_Righ

You are aware that that image is complete sarcasm on Croshaw's part, right?

Anyway, I don't think that 'always online' is going to happen with the 720. Mainly because Sony and Microsoft are vying for some kind of 'console domination' where there's is the most brought/played. Having an obnoxiously limiting thing like 'always online', when Sony does not, would be Microsoft shooting itself in the foot.
The7thSeal
The7thSeal
Gillian

Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by MiniSiets Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:13 am

And yet all evidence points to the contrary. Microsoft refuses to make a statement on it, several sources that have reported using devkits say that it's always online, and Adam Orth has all but confirmed it. You underestimate the temptation of the average gamer. Diablo 3 sold 3.5 million+ copies despite having always on DRM. Players have proven they will sell out if they have to in order to get their next fix.
MiniSiets
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Belsfir Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:15 pm

MiniSiets wrote:And yet all evidence points to the contrary. Microsoft refuses to make a statement on it, several sources that have reported using devkits say that it's always online, and Adam Orth has all but confirmed it. You underestimate the temptation of the average gamer. Diablo 3 sold 3.5 million+ copies despite having always on DRM. Players have proven they will sell out if they have to in order to get their next fix.

Yeah really. Nobody is just gonna give up on gaming if it does happen.
Belsfir
Belsfir
Bronze Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:39 pm

Belsfir wrote:
MiniSiets wrote:And yet all evidence points to the contrary. Microsoft refuses to make a statement on it, several sources that have reported using devkits say that it's always online, and Adam Orth has all but confirmed it. You underestimate the temptation of the average gamer. Diablo 3 sold 3.5 million+ copies despite having always on DRM. Players have proven they will sell out if they have to in order to get their next fix.

Yeah really. Nobody is just gonna give up on gaming if it does happen.

They don't have to give up. They just need to switch to Sony. The thing about Diablo 3 was that it was just one game. You can put up with a crappy limitation if it is just a game or two especially if it is a game series you really like. But if a whole system does it....... Non hardcore fans will probably move over to sony or even Nintendo and even a few hardcore fans might leave eventually after putting up with crappy "always on" stuff for a few games. You're right that gamers have shown they can put up with a lot but when alternatives are easily avaliable Microsoft will need some insanely popular Console exclusives to keep from losing anywhere from a fourth to half of their customers. After all before you even put up with that crap you have to buy the thing first and a lot of people probably won't want to spend so much money on something that limits them like that.
Metazoxan
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by vladiris Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:56 pm

Any news about new xbox core ?
vladiris
vladiris
Lab Member

Male Posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow_Links Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:08 pm

A while back Nvidia bragged that their Geforce Titan chip was 3x faster than the PS4 processor, and on the same graph they showed the Xbox 720 being even slower than the PS4.

There have been a number of Dev kit leaks, but no announcements directly from microsoft.

Spoiler:

The Eeveelution army is all powerful!!! Join us or die!!!
Shadow_Links
Shadow_Links
Shinigami

Male Posts : 142
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next