JustDubs Online No Subs Just Dubs JustDubsOnline.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[SPOILERS] The Film Club Discussion - Warrior

3 posters

Go down

[SPOILERS] The Film Club Discussion - Warrior Empty [SPOILERS] The Film Club Discussion - Warrior

Post by BK-201 Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:16 am

The Film Club Discussion - Warrior

[SPOILERS] The Film Club Discussion - Warrior 215px-Warrior_Poster

Let's discuss this film!

Here are some questions to think about:
What did you like and/or dislike about the film? Why?
Was there something you did not understand in the film?
Would you improve anything about the film?
What was your favourite scene?
Were you satisfied with the ending?
What is your overall rating?

Feel free to to use or not use the questions.
BK-201
BK-201
Shinigami

Male Posts : 247
The Anime Cafe Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club Film Club i4Japan The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

[SPOILERS] The Film Club Discussion - Warrior Empty Re: [SPOILERS] The Film Club Discussion - Warrior

Post by MiniSiets Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:39 am

I liked the last half hour of the movie showing the tournament playing out. Watching Brendan as the underdog take on a lot of tough competition really brought out the suspense in the fight scenes. The acting was superb. The script and story were pretty formulaic, though never cringe-worthy. To be honest, I'm not a fan of the mixed martial arts genre in general, so I was overall fairly disinterested in the story throughout most of the movie. I didn't much get into the dysfunctional family issues that the plot dealt with, especially because not only was there a lack of any decent resolution to these plot points, but it also never bothers elaborating what even happened between the brothers and their father that created all this animosity between them. It's also stretching the imagination quite a bit that Brendan's big solution to his foreclosure crisis is entering into a world class winner-take-all tournament where his chances are slim to none at actually winning the multi-million dollar prize, but I'll let that one slide since the movie has bigger issues than that.

The lack of exposition regarding the brothers' familial issues beyond the fact that their father used to be a drunkard made it sometimes hard to follow what their gripes with each other were.

As I inherently have a disinterest in the genre, there's not a whole lot that could be done to elevate it beyond just decent status for me, but one thing I think could have been done is adding 5 more minutes to the film to allow for some closure. What does Brendan end up doing with the money? Does he share some of it with his brother to help with his cause of supporting that widow? I want to see him shoving that money in the bank's face too and watching the look on that loan officer when the house can suddenly be completely paid off. And do the brothers make amends with their father afterward? These things could have all been given resolution to if they just took even 5 minutes of extra time to wrap up. The movie just ends immediately after the climax.

When Tommy takes down that punk a second time without even hardly trying after the guy talks so much smack about getting payback on him.

Overall, yes. As I already mentioned there's improvements that could be made, but it works.

6/10. Considering that I don't normally care about this genre I was still able to marginally enjoy it, so I give it some creds.
MiniSiets
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

[SPOILERS] The Film Club Discussion - Warrior Empty Re: [SPOILERS] The Film Club Discussion - Warrior

Post by ladyalchemist85 Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:42 am

What I liked about the film was the actual fights. I have been a huge martial arts / action genre fan since before I can remember... I think my father missed not having any sons so instead wanted to get me into the "better, non-sissy movies" as he put it.

I wish the movie had further elaborated on the family issues in the beginning. We get a father who obviously was a drunk, causing in some way for the mother to leave with the children. I gathered (and it may be wrong), that Tommy felt a rift with his brother because he choose a woman over going into the service and then felt guilt because he himself then deserted. Which is why they incorporated Tommy not tapping out until his brother spoke during their fight.

Another thing that annoyed me... The widow of the serviceman... she would have known that Tommy deserted and would understand the meaning of him using his mother's maiden name. Yet she comes out on T.V. to announce who he is.... So that the military MPs can arrest him after the match??? Completely not realistic... If they had proof he committed a crime, (which they did), there would be no waiting... he would have been arrested on the spot.... Well that's just movie logic for you anyway... The scene was important in the film so that everyone knew they were brothers before they fought, I understand that... but it could have come out in a more realistic way...

Like I said before, I think that I had the brother relationship/rift worked out... but would have liked a little more to go on. Was the father abusive? It's said that the boy were close to their mother, but she is rarely mentioned at all. What was the incident that caused Brendan to not want his father near his family?

Just a little more backstory... I understand this is a fight movie and the majority of the film will be about the fight/training for the fight... But if you are going to mention the backstory don't leave it half assed.

Since I am a Marine brat... The scene where they sing the Marine Corps Hymn... Yes they don't know he deserted at this point... but it shows a solidarity that is just.... priceless.

Yes and no. Yes because as far as Hollywood goes, it was a good emotional ending. No because they could have done so much better... Made it more realistic... I would have also liked to see 5 or even 10 minutes more in the film... What happens to Tommy? Does he get arrested, and does his act of heroism negate the desertion charges. I too would have liked to see Brendan throw the money in the bank's face... and tell them where they can shove it. A punch to that accountant wouldn't hurt either... XD And does he get his job back as a teacher or is he permanently gone because of his fighting? What does he do with that money? I also wanted to know if he gave some to that widow... And from my nurse's view I really want to know what Tommy's and Brendan's injuries were.... >.<

Just too many questions left unanswered...

7/10

Even though it had it's drawbacks... it still was an ok movie, and I enjoyed watching it.
ladyalchemist85
ladyalchemist85
Academy Student

Female Posts : 32
The Anime Cafe Film Club The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by BK-201 Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:50 am

I enjoyed this film. I particularly liked the way the final fight between the brothers was so emotionally charged, it was not just a fight to win the money but to also try and get their family back. I have to agree that it would have been better to have some more details on the background of the family and the events prior to the films start.

It's not that I didn't understand it just would have helped to know more on what happened to the family.

More info on the family history and maybe some details of the events following the fight.

I also loved the scene when Tommy just knocked Mad Dog out for the second time after all that showing off.

Mostly.

7/10
BK-201
BK-201
Shinigami

Male Posts : 247
The Anime Cafe Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club Film Club i4Japan The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down