JustDubs Online No Subs Just Dubs JustDubsOnline.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What makes Harem Anime so appealing?

+25
Natsuru-san
Blazer
plantkingman
Doomguy
higurashi_conan
IloveHolo
Nyako~Mayushii
LunarLexal
Mayes
mageman603
Androgynous
DemonEyesJoe
Dcmac
Nim
BRC
L3GION
Valvatorez
johnstang2
MacMeaties
Metazoxan
ladyalchemist85
Paper Tiger
bedheadred
MrLincecum
Sir Maddy
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What makes Harem Anime so appealing? Empty What makes Harem Anime so appealing?

Post by Sir Maddy Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:18 am

Self-explanatory.
Why is the Harem Genre so appealing towards the Anime fans?
Sir Maddy
Sir Maddy
Yuri Lover
Yuri Lover

Female Posts : 1017
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

What makes Harem Anime so appealing? Empty Re: What makes Harem Anime so appealing?

Post by MrLincecum Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:22 am

Sir Maddy wrote:Self-explanatory.
It isn't, at least for me anyway.

The characters are more appealing than the actual genre, so I guess that's why I tend to watch harems from time to time. I rarely watch harems just because they're harems [The main characters also usually suck in those "cheesy" harems].

This is a question that I think can't be answered. You can get opinions on it, but there's no concrete answer. It's all about preferences.
MrLincecum
MrLincecum
Gillian

Male Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

What makes Harem Anime so appealing? Empty Re: What makes Harem Anime so appealing?

Post by bedheadred Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:31 am

MrLincecum wrote:
Sir Maddy wrote:Self-explanatory.
It isn't, at least for me anyway.

The characters are more appealing than the actual genre, so I guess that's why I tend to watch harems from time to time. I rarely watch harems just because they're harems [The main characters also usually suck in those "cheesy" harems].

This is a question that I think can't be answered. You can get opinions on it, but there's no concrete answer. It's all about preferences.

I think anime preference is about fantasizing about something you lack. My favorite genre is action and I admire strong female characters because it is what I aspire to be. By that theory, harem watchers secretly (or not-so-secretly) want a harem for themselves.
bedheadred
bedheadred
Adjuchas

Female Posts : 426
Cooking Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper Tiger Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:37 am

Personally I dislike harem, mostly cause of the main character who's usually a spineless cowardly slug who has nothing going on for him - having a bunch of girls chase someone like that around and get in fights w/ each other over him seems very ridiculous to me. Use the harem part in support of something more meaningful (action, comedy, suspense, etc.) and I will likely watch it, but shows like Kanokon annoy me to no ends. But I'd imagine that Red is correct in that many guys like the harem genre because it portrays something they want to happen to them. Well that, and of course boobs - in just about any show w/ harem elements I've seen there is plenty of boobage being flaunted all around, I'd much rather have firefights and explosions instead but if that is unavailable I suppose boobs do work as an effective substitute, lol
Paper Tiger
Paper Tiger
Bronze Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ladyalchemist85 Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:06 am

For me it all depends on the actual anime... There are some harem and reverse harem anime that I LOVE.... others I can't stand...

As for the wanting my own harem? Well damn... what girl hasn't had dreams of a couple of sexy guys who all want her? XD
ladyalchemist85
ladyalchemist85
Academy Student

Female Posts : 32
The Anime Cafe Film Club The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper Tiger Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:13 am

ladyalchemist85 wrote:As for the wanting my own harem? Well damn... what girl hasn't had dreams of a couple of sexy guys who all want her? XD
Careful what you wish for there, Miss, some of them guys here have such one-track minds that once you send them in the gutter there ain't no crawling back out, and they'll drag you right along as well! lol
Paper Tiger
Paper Tiger
Bronze Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ladyalchemist85 Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:44 am

Paper Tiger wrote:
ladyalchemist85 wrote:As for the wanting my own harem? Well damn... what girl hasn't had dreams of a couple of sexy guys who all want her? XD

Careful what you wish for there, Miss, some of them guys here have such one-track minds that once you send them in the gutter there ain't no crawling back out, and they'll drag you right along as well! lol

Well that's ok then! I was married to a Navy guy, you can't drag my mind any further into the gutter than I have already taken it myself! Laughing
ladyalchemist85
ladyalchemist85
Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper Tiger Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:08 am

ladyalchemist85 wrote:Well that's ok then! I was married to a Navy guy, you can't drag my mind any further into the gutter than I have already taken it myself! Laughing
Idk about that, I'm a professional steering wheel holder by occupation - I get gutter mind exercise day in and day out whether I like it or not! And mind you, it appears I'm one of the mild/tame ones here, lmao! Btw your avi is hilarious, where is it from? Kinda looks like a comic of some sorts...
Paper Tiger
Paper Tiger
Bronze Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:50 am

I think the main appeal for harems is the cast. A harem by default has a lot of female characters allowing many people to have at least one female character they like. Add in a little fan service and you have hundreds of male Otaku trying to claim they are married. Neutral

Plus some people dream about having a harem but since Poligamy is illegal in most places this is as close as most people can get.
Metazoxan
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 793
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Post by MacMeaties Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:55 am

As has been said before it really depends on the anime itself. I like comedy above all else in anime and some harems are just outright funny while others do nothing but make me cringe.
Another reason could be many harems have quite a lot of ecchi in them and guys think with their penis half the time (I know I do).
On the flip side the MC is usually a complete twunt who needs to grow a pair and for some reason they are always some little skiny dude with no obvious appeal, both of which aggravate me.
If they aren't running fear from physical contact they are a complete lech for some reason there is no middle ground with them.

So in short
Pros
Funny
Boobs

Cons
MC needs shot

I personally don't go out of my way to avoid them but most I've seen have been fairly terrible.
MacMeaties
MacMeaties
Shinsengumi

Male Posts : 130
The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:41 pm

I don't care much for harem, especially in visual novels, that is unacceptable.
I like one girl only or it isn't really true love if your f ucking 5 girls.

Back to top Go down

Post by ladyalchemist85 Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:10 pm

I'm an avid gamer... My avi is one of my, if not my favorite champions to play from League of Legends, Lux the lady of luminosity. XD

What makes Harem Anime so appealing? Lux-Classic-Reworked
ladyalchemist85
ladyalchemist85
Academy Student

Back to top Go down

Post by johnstang2 Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:19 pm

I like and dislike harem anime. I like them for the comedy and social aspect. I hate them cause they sometimes go overboard with the inter-fighting for the MC who a lot of time is a twerp that wont even get noticed over here.

I know that did not come out right but oh well.

As for secretly wanting a harem. Are you Crazy? That is way too much work and hassle.
johnstang2
johnstang2
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 1089

Back to top Go down

Post by Valvatorez Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:22 pm

The only reason why I watch harem is mostly for the plot.
But at times, it is pretty eh, so I guess I just watch it to watch it.

One aspect I do like about harems though, are the Tsunderes. Every harem needs a Tsun, or it aint no harem at all.
And I am not much of a harem guy myself. Feels weird to share with others.
Valvatorez
Valvatorez
Yuri Lover
Yuri Lover

Female Posts : 635
The New Release Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by L3GION Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:37 am

I honestly find Harems to be annoying more times then not. Especially considering the Main Protagonist is usually annoying. I usually find one character i like, and the rest utterly piss me off. That is my own opinion of course.
L3GION
L3GION
Silver Saint

Male Posts : 622
The Anime Cafe Designing Club Film Club The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by BRC Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:41 am

I like harems mostly because of all the drama." Oh, which one is he/she going to pick~~!" It's just really appealing to me to play the guessing game.
Another thing, to me is I end up picking out a girl/guy I'd pick, and then root for them to get the guy/girl Or curse the MC for not picking them and secretly claim them for myself. >>
BRC
BRC
Academy Student

Female Posts : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Nim Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:01 am

I like them because there are lots of agreeable girls who hang around a main character(him being a clueless idiot makes it better).

It's something i feel like i've missed out on. Well at least having one person hang around me like i'm the greatest thing would be more feasible. Although impossible.

In short,
It's just another fantasy world to escape to when things seemingly suck in RL.
Nim
Nim
Zombie
Zombie

Male Posts : 161
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcmac Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:39 am

Harem animes are just bubbly fun. Sometimes I don't want to watch anything heavy, so I'll watch a harem.
Dcmac
Dcmac
Gillian

Male Posts : 74
Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonEyesJoe Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:57 am

i dont watch harems on purpous, but when looking for some comedy, thats usually where it ends up
DemonEyesJoe
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 997
Key / Visual Art's Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Androgynous Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:19 pm

yes comedy and lots of i think girls
Androgynous
Androgynous
Lab Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mageman603 Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:35 pm

...my opinion is that we watch harems for the same purpose as we watch the rest of anime, or read manga...to escape from the suckiness of reality...what guy hasn't imagined lots of girls who all like him...or vice versa. IMHO, we watch harems to fantasize, and laugh, and metaphorically stick our middle finger up at reality
mageman603
mageman603
Lab Member

Male Posts : 50
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayes Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:40 am

Dcmac wrote:Harem animes are just bubbly fun. Sometimes I don't want to watch anything heavy, so I'll watch a harem.
This is exactly how I feel.
Mayes
Mayes
Academy Student

Male Posts : 72
The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by mageman603 Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:26 am

mine was a bit more on the heavy side...everyone else just said, Because they are funny...geez I went philisophical again
mageman603
mageman603
Lab Member

Male Posts : 50
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by LunarLexal Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:43 pm

In all honesty, I think the Harem anime depends more on the main character then the bunch of busty chicks. If the main character is an annoying wuss, I'll most likely hate it. But if the main char is awesome, I'll probably love it. So it doesn't actually depend on the harem itself for me, but on the main character. Although the main character usually a wuss, so that there is need for a bigger team.
LunarLexal
LunarLexal
Adjuchas

Male Posts : 565
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Nyako~Mayushii Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Prety much what Karma said.
Nyako~Mayushii
Nyako~Mayushii
Gillian

Female Posts : 82
Key / Visual Art's Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next