JustDubs Online No Subs Just Dubs JustDubsOnline.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

United Nations Moratorium on the Death Penalty

3 posters

Go down

United Nations Moratorium on the Death Penalty Empty United Nations Moratorium on the Death Penalty

Post by SkepticalDragon Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:46 am

Spoiler:
This United Nations General Assembly non-binding resolution calls upon nations that have abolished capital punishment to NOT reintroduce it and nations that still practice capital punishment to respect the human rights of those potentially to be charged and sentenced with capital offenses, increase openness and transparency for informed political dialogue on capital punishment, to reduce the offenses capital punishment may be used for, encouraging them start a moratorium capital punishment and move to abolition.

It also mentions that there is no conclusive evidence that capital punishment acts as a deterrent to crime, it undermines human dignity, the miscarriage of justice involved with capital punishment is irreversible and irreparable, and its abolition assists in establishing better respect for human life, liberty, and dignity globally.
SkepticalDragon
SkepticalDragon
Lab Member

Male Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

United Nations Moratorium on the Death Penalty Empty Re: United Nations Moratorium on the Death Penalty

Post by MiniSiets Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:34 am

Well I guess I'm all for this resolution. The death penalty is more expensive on the taxpayer than simply holding a prisoner indefinitely, and plenty of people have been wrongfully convicted and executed in the past for crimes they haven't committed. In general I just don't trust government with that power, and it goes against my tendencies to favor rehabilitation and redemption over spite and vengeance.
MiniSiets
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

United Nations Moratorium on the Death Penalty Empty Re: United Nations Moratorium on the Death Penalty

Post by Colme Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:11 am

MiniSiets wrote:Well I guess I'm all for this resolution. The death penalty is more expensive on the taxpayer than simply holding a prisoner indefinitely, and plenty of people have been wrongfully convicted and executed in the past for crimes they haven't committed. In general I just don't trust government with that power, and it goes against my tendencies to favor rehabilitation and redemption over spite and vengeance.

I agree. I also find that that capital punishment occupies a rather uncomfortable ethical territory regardless of fiscal viability (or lack thereof) and potential for injustice.
Colme
Colme
Bronze Saint

The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum