JustDubs Online No Subs Just Dubs JustDubsOnline.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kaze no Stigma Review

+3
Safko
Doomguy
Sporadic
7 posters

Go down

Kaze no Stigma Review  Empty Kaze no Stigma Review

Post by Sporadic Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:58 am

I tend to only feel like writing reviews for anime I dislike..

When the Kannagi family, a family blessed by the spirits of fire and able to wield this element as magic, learns that a former member, cast out for his inability to control flame, has returned to town, it is cause for some speculation. Kazuma was a failure at fire magic, but it seems that he has not only renamed himself (Kazuma Yagami), but has also learned to control wind magic (something no Kannagi can do naturally). When several of the family members are killed using wind magic, Kazuma is immediately suspected. Ayamo Kannagi, the hotheaded next family leader, volunteers to face her former cousin in battle, but it seems she’s bitten of more than she can chew. Kazuma plans to find out who is using wind magic to kill, even if it might help his former relatives in the process.

"Some series have all of the elements required for greatness but never quite manage to put them together. And then there are series like Kaze no Stigma, which have all of the elements necessary for mediocrity and struggle even to achieve that much."

There were a lot of things that initially bothered me about this show. The biggest of all would be the writing in general. The writing almost always consistently fails to provide anything enthralling. Very little of the story could actually be considered interesting or original. Over all the story's writing just seemed half assed. The show screamed bad Shakugan no Shana rip off from the beginning. Shana and Ayano both wield a sword and have fire powers which they use to take care of supernatural creatures. They both look strangely similar and even have almost the same hair cut.

The show has terrible pacing and a lot of things are too drawn out. It seems very repetitive and little is actually accomplished in each episode. There's nothing that particularly stands out much story wise and the bad pacing just adds to making it even worse. There was very little fan service, if you could even call a momentary breeze lifting up Ayano's skirt in the middle of a battle fan service. And it seemed like they could never make up their mind which genre they wanted this anime to be. They throw around action, mystery, paranormal and slight hints of romance. There are so many tones being thrown around that it never settles on one and doesn’t handle any of them very well. Bad writing and over bearing characterizations turn the anime into a complete waste of time and ruin all of its potential.

The series does do a couple things right though. The girl Ren falls for, her predicament and the nature of her situation were actually nice. Probably the best few episode I enjoyed were those. The fighting scenes were probably the only other good aspect of the show. The art is average but the character rendering did seem to improve a bit when they entered a fighting scene, which was definitely an improvement from this shows typical deformed renderings.

Ayano's character had some typical personality quirks. She's temperamental, easily offended, very opinionated, eager, hot tempered and just plain overbearing. That mixed with Kazuma's arrogance proves to have some comedic scenes which they tend to play on as much as they can. Kazuma's "cool guy bravado" got annoying really quick as did his seemingly invincible nature. It's nice to see a protagonist who's well adept to fighting or using magical abilities where they don't have to drag out character development in that aspect for 15+ episodes. But Kazuma seemed too untouchable for there to be any real excitement in his fights, which in turn virtually removed all tension in what was going to happen next. And that got boring about 6 episodes in. By that point its pretty apparent that Kazuma will god mode through this entire series, unscathed. And actually, Ayano and Ren's fights seem more interesting just because they're not untouchable and they do have something to lose if they get beat.

Art wasn't bad, inside of an action scene. Outside of it, it seemed like shortcuts were taken everywhere. Characters lost detail, varied in definition and in some instances became slightly deformed. The show definitely emphasized on art in action scenes over everything else.

The music wasn't anything good either. Certain scenes tried building up a tone to get you more wrapped into what was going on and the bad writing seemed to overshadow what musical score was present each time. And the opening and ending song doesn't really fit with the show all too well.

If this was a series I actually enjoyed I would have put more effort into writing this. I give this show a 4/10. If you wanna watch something better check out Shakugan no Shana.

Sporadic
Sporadic
Content Director
Content Director

Male Posts : 1174
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Kaze no Stigma Review  Empty Re: Kaze no Stigma Review

Post by Doomguy Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:27 pm

4\10? Much lower then what I would have given it. You mention the series direction or lack thereof and I do agree with that. It was all over the place but at least the show tried to avoid the pitfall of "monster of the week".

I'm going to have to defend my boy Kazuma here, sure he was overwhelmingly strong but lets be honest here. If he was a weakling (as a kid he was) and slowly grows stronger throughout the show haven't we seen this formula once before? If anything the reverse is what occurred.

I don't want to knock on your review though. I noticed a lot of people have mixed feelings when it comes to Kaze no Stigma. Love\Hate relationship with it might seem to be the case.
Doomguy
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:37 am

On MAL I gave it a 2/10 XD
Sporadic
Sporadic
Content Director
Content Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Safko Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:14 pm

That's pretty harsh O:
Granted it isn't the best series but 4/10 & 2/10 D:?
Safko
Safko
Bronze Saint

Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by plantkingman Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:27 pm

I have seen this anime and didn't care to much for it.
plantkingman
plantkingman
Bronze Saint

Male Posts : 165

Back to top Go down

Post by Safko Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:03 pm

Kaze no Stigma Review  3cd8a33a
Safko
Safko
Bronze Saint

Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:55 pm

Safko wrote:Kaze no Stigma Review  3cd8a33a

Kaze no Stigma Review  Byebye
Sporadic
Sporadic
Content Director
Content Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Safko Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:25 pm

Well aren't you a caring Admin Razz
Safko
Safko
Bronze Saint

Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinimagami Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:33 pm

I've seen this anime...though I agree with many points...I really think that it lacked a good plot for one, and the whole "romance" in it...again was lacking.
I really think that if it had been written better, and the plot strengthened it would have some promise...other than that, I really didn't understand why people loved it so much, when it was missing so much.
Shinimagami
Shinimagami
Academy Student

Female Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:31 am

Shinimagami wrote:I've seen this anime...though I agree with many points...I really think that it lacked a good plot for one, and the whole "romance" in it...again was lacking.
I really think that if it had been written better, and the plot strengthened it would have some promise...other than that, I really didn't understand why people loved it so much, when it was missing so much.

Ah, thank you. I couldn't agree more with this.
Sporadic
Sporadic
Content Director
Content Director

Back to top Go down

Post by iH34RTD4RKN3SS Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:27 am

sucks that the writer has passed away... sad to say that a second season will not be making a release anytime soon.
iH34RTD4RKN3SS
iH34RTD4RKN3SS
Lab Member

Male Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post by Doomguy Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:28 am

iH34RTD4RKN3SS wrote:sucks that the writer has passed away... sad to say that a second season will not be making a release anytime soon.

Reminds me of what happened to Trinity Blood. I don't think they ever finished that one as well.
Doomguy
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by hydroponiks Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:46 am

harsh review my man lol
hydroponiks
hydroponiks
Gillian