JustDubs Online No Subs Just Dubs JustDubsOnline.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amd or intel

+2
DemonEyesJoe
Mylespol
6 posters

Go down

Amd or intel Empty Amd or intel

Post by Mylespol Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:31 pm

I prefer Amd currently because of the 8 cores and lower* price.

(lower because even though price to performance is about the same Intel mother boards tend to cost more)

so which do you like more and why?
Mylespol
Mylespol
Bronze Saint

Designing Club

Back to top Go down

Amd or intel Empty Re: Amd or intel

Post by DemonEyesJoe Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:04 am

i love amd as price to preformace is amazing (running a 3.2 x6 phenom black) but, as far as gaming is concerned, last generation was all about 4 cores, so the other 2 only helped a little bit as most games wernt really built to use more than 4, idk about this gen though, i might be getting my moneys worth now, itell boards are stupid expensive too.

i feel if i had to choose again 2 years ago, i would have gotten an intel 2500k instead just becasue it seems the overall gaming performance is so much better.

again, gens are in transition now so...who knows, also, AMD is the console provider this time around
DemonEyesJoe
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 997
Key / Visual Art's Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by MiniSiets Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:34 am

8 cores is nice, but it's inefficient, as they perform rather equivalently to Intel's Quad Cores. Simply cramming more cores into your processor doesn't always necessarily translate to faster speed. I prefer Intel.
MiniSiets
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Doomguy Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:34 am

After doing a whole lot of research for buying a new computer this year I have come to this conclusion.

If you want a gaming computer that can run "new" games (note new), you should buy an Intel I5 or higher with a GPU. AMD's processors at this level don't deliver the same performance compared to Intel and only when overclocked do they stand a reasonable chance. (assuming the Intel's are NOT overclocked....)

What if however you only do light gaming, browse the internet, and don't plan on buying a separate graphics card?
Based on my own personal research, (and what I plan on buying hopefully) you can settle for AMD's Trinity series of processors. The A6,A8, and A10 is apparently a modified AMD Phenom II (last gen processor) with some new upgrades from the Piledriver series and a built in graphics card.

You still get the multicore benefits and also can play some modern games on decent settings. Don't worry, this is not last gens "Intel's integrated graphics" that restricted all your games. This processor beats a stock Intel processor on all levels even the I7! At least in no GPU gaming. (you know...the kind of computer you buy at Dell)

It really boils to your budget and needs. I would avoid the Bulldozer series for AMD and go straight for Intel for GPU assisted gaming. If you can't afford the extra 50-90 bucks for a GPU I would strongly suggest looking at AMD's Trinity lineup which is considerably cheaper.

Edit:

Oh I suppose I should explain a bit on processors

AMD
Bulldozer is the FX 4100s, 6100s, and 8100s. Avoid these I think and shoot for either Piledriver or Intel

Piledriver is the FX 4300s, 6300s, and 8300s. Better then above in all ways however the price is getting too close to Intel which is still slightly better.
(4,6,8 refers to cores however it means little in this case since they are utilized poorly)

Trinity is cheapest in the bunch and frankly I think is better then the above unless you get a VERY GOOD GPU. A6,A8, and A10 I believe is duel, quad, and 8 core however I might be confused with the older version of processor....

Intel Is simply the I3,I5, and I7. Duel, Quad, and 8 core respectively. They come with a decent intregated graphics card that is light years better then the old garbage they used to have. However they stand no chance to Trinity's APU.

Doomguy
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaysp656 Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:44 pm

I've always preferred AMD myself. I had a Phenom II N620 (1.8 GHz) for my first laptop. It could play most games on low/med settings.

My current laptop has a A10-4600M with Radeon HD Graphics built in. With this laptop I can play on medium high settings no problem. Only a couple games become slightly slow when on high settings.

Though I haven't done any heavy or prolonged gaming on it yet.

I've heard that the A10's gpu is better than the Intel HD 4000 series built in gpu's
Jaysp656
Jaysp656
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 301
The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Doomguy Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:36 pm

Jaysp656 wrote:

My current laptop has a A10-4600M with Radeon HD Graphics built in.

If you don't plan on buying a separate graphics card, then AMD's built in graphics is seperior to Intels integrated graphics. That is a good computer you have as far as integrated graphics go and one I plan on getting. Of course I'll buy whatever newer one there is at the time.

As a side note I know that AMD is involved with the game consoles. This is just conjecture but does it stand to reason that future games would be more multi-core focused? Since the 8 cores of the PS4 are weak on their own I just assumed that games would be engineered to focus on using all the cores instead of heavily relying on one core. Of course a console is not a PC with an OS like windows......so I'm just saying...
Doomguy
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylespol Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:43 pm

Sorry but have to point out some things.

First Processes do almost nothing to increase frame rate well gaming and the only time you will have a noticeable difference is when the game is now well optimized for the architectural the processor is running such as bulldozer or Trinity, or if your running integrated graphics. Other then that the frame rate will be about the same unless there is a huge difference in power between the processors.

Also Amd's price points are much different then intel's. Amd's 8350 is about the same price as Intel's 3570k (both around $200). And they both achieve about the same frame rates. It really comes down to the games and how optimized they are. many new games like Far Cry 3 get better frames per second with Amd processes.

Also FPS is mostly attributed to how good your graphics card is.

"Piledriver is the FX 4300s, 6300s, and 8300s. Better then above in all ways however the price is getting too close to Intel which is still slightly better.(4,6,8 refers to cores however it means little in this case since they are utilized poorly)"

I know you stated that your looking at it form a gaming stand point but Amd processes with eight cores 8150 and 8350 beat out Intel processes when doing processor heavy work like video editing or Heavy Photoshop usage.

In the end processor choice comes down you what your going to use it for and whats in your price range. Oh and the other parts you pick if your weird and pick processor last or if you like the features of a certain motherboard

Sorry for any grammar mistakes and also sorry for not knowing how to quote lol.

Guess this goes to show i like amd a lot more.
Mylespol
Mylespol
Bronze Saint

Designing Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Eureka Seven Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:21 am

All I ever hear about AMD is that it had a recent let down... Also this cheaper* logic is what gave China the idea to use lead based paints on America's kid's toys... LEL
Eureka Seven
Eureka Seven
Academy Student

Male Posts : 8
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Mylespol Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Eureka Seven wrote:All I ever hear about AMD is that it had a recent let down... Also this cheaper* logic is what gave China the idea to use lead based paints on America's kid's toys... LEL

thats true but it is better for editing and about the same fps in most games or a little less and theirs no pit fall like shorter life span and they are not made out of shit
Mylespol
Mylespol
Bronze Saint

Designing Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum