JustDubs Online No Subs Just Dubs JustDubsOnline.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

U.S. ISPs Start Alert System for Unauthorized Down

+9
CreaminFreeman
DemonEyesJoe
Jaysp656
Metazoxan
BK-201
Blazer
Noobs
Deathfire123
bedheadred
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

U.S. ISPs Start Alert System for Unauthorized Down Empty U.S. ISPs Start Alert System for Unauthorized Down

Post by bedheadred Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:38 am

Internet service providers, such as AT&T and Verizon, are beginning to implement The Copyright Alert System this week. The warning system will alert users if their IP addresses have been linked to allegedly unauthorized file-sharing through peer-to-peer software. The user will receive up to six warnings before the ISP will takes further actions, including slowing the users connection and redirecting internet traffic. The provider will continue these methods until the user acknowledges the notices or reviews educational materials about copyright law.

Users who wish to challenge their ISPs on the charges must pay a US$35 fee, which is refunded if the review finds in their favor. Each ISP is expected to implement their own system. The first warnings serve to educate the user, while later warnings require the user to acknowledge they have willfully committed an illegal act.

Jill Lesser, the director of the Center for Copyright Infringement, the organization behind the system, said in a blog post Monday that the program is "meant to educate rather than punish, and direct (users) to legal alternatives." Other officials involved in the system's creation acknowledged that it is unlikely to stop the biggest violators.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-02-27/u.s-isps-start-alert-system-for-unauthorized-downloads
bedheadred
bedheadred
Adjuchas

Female Posts : 426
Cooking Club

Back to top Go down

U.S. ISPs Start Alert System for Unauthorized Down Empty Re: U.S. ISPs Start Alert System for Unauthorized Down

Post by Deathfire123 Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:23 am

Thank the Canadian government for not being pricks.

Last edited by Deathfire123 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deathfire123
Deathfire123
Silver Saint

The Anime Cafe Key / Visual Art's Club Film Club Cooking Club

Back to top Go down

U.S. ISPs Start Alert System for Unauthorized Down Empty Re: U.S. ISPs Start Alert System for Unauthorized Down

Post by Noobs Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:48 am

hopes our local ISPs wont do this move.

Noobs
Noobs
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 470
The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Blazer Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:59 am

Just...wow....lame...hope this doesn't spread beyond verizon and at&t.
Blazer
Blazer
Saiya-Jin

The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club

Back to top Go down

Post by BK-201 Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:28 am

Blazer wrote:Just...wow....lame...hope this doesn't spread beyond verizon and at&t.

It most likely will and very quickly change from educating to punishing as it affects corporates who are the only people governments really care about.
BK-201
BK-201
Shinigami

Male Posts : 247
The Anime Cafe Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club Film Club i4Japan The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by BK-201 Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:29 am

BK-201 wrote:
Blazer wrote:Just...wow....lame...hope this doesn't spread beyond verizon and at&t.

It most likely will and very quickly change from educating to punishing as it affects the corporates and rich who are the only people governments really care about.
BK-201
BK-201
Shinigami

Male Posts : 247
The Anime Cafe Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club Film Club i4Japan The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Blazer Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:30 am

I need to make some friends in Switzerland then and get a great VPN hooked up. xD
Blazer
Blazer
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:31 am

I heard they were all pretty much doing this, notice it says "Such as" and not only. Not sure if this will help but it certainly couldn't hurt. http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/six_strikes_2013
Metazoxan
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 793
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Blazer Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:33 am

Metazoxan wrote:

I heard they were all pretty much doing this, notice it says "Such as" and not only. Not sure if this will help but it certainly couldn't hurt. http://act.demandprogress.org/letter/six_strikes_2013

This is horrible >.>
Blazer
Blazer
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaysp656 Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:37 am

Great Sad I have AT&T. Would a vpn be able to hide the download better?
Jaysp656
Jaysp656
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 301
The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Blazer Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:37 am

Jaysp656 wrote:Great Sad I have AT&T. Would a vpn be able to hide the download better?

Hide? Yes
Fast at downloads? Depends on your VPN. They have some you can pay for and some free ones.
Blazer
Blazer
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaysp656 Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:47 am

Seeing it is for p2p downloads, does that mean just any download? or just ones through a p2p client like Bittorrent?
Jaysp656
Jaysp656
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:50 am

Blazer wrote:
Metazoxan wrote:

This is horrible >.>

Agreed we should fight this. Sign a few petitions (like the one I posted) and if there is a provider that isn't doing this everyone should switch to them (assuming they can afford to and stuff) to show these guys what kinda business model customers want. They don't give a damn about what we think as long as they still get their money so the best way to fight them is to take that away. Over all petitions probably won't do much but they certainly won't hurt especially if it is from an organised group so they are still worth signing when they come up. But if there is anyway to boycott the providers doing this then that will probably be the best method. Plus if any provider isn't doing this yet switching to them avoids the problem anyway.
Metazoxan
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blazer Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:57 am

I can't switch, my living conditions have me hooked up to a provider that has a monopoly on the area...
Blazer
Blazer
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:04 am

Blazer wrote:I can't switch, my living conditions have me hooked up to a provider that has a monopoly on the area...

Damn.... Well if you find a provider that isn't doing this spread the word about it so that other people can switch. I mean every little bit helps right? Even if the staff can easily avoid this it still starts a worrying trend. I mean how long before they try to get away with even worse rules? Even if they won't listen to us and attempts to stop it fail trying is better than nothing.
Metazoxan
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blazer Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:05 am

Metazoxan wrote:
Blazer wrote:I can't switch, my living conditions have me hooked up to a provider that has a monopoly on the area...

Damn.... Well if you find a provider that isn't doing this spread the word about it so that other people can switch. I mean every little bit helps right? Even if the staff can easily avoid this it still starts a worrying trend. I mean how long before they try to get away with even worse rules? Even if they won't listen to us and attempts to stop it fail trying is better than nothing.

Sounds like fear mongering! But yeah, i will share if i hear of anything.
Blazer
Blazer
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:26 am

Blazer wrote:
Metazoxan wrote:

Sounds like fear mongering! But yeah, i will share if i hear of anything.
Nah. I'm not saying tell people "IT's the end of the internet! Flee to the haven of safety" although you can say that if you want. Just tell people "Your internet is spying on you and is starting to cut and take away your services. Go to these guys instead to both avoid the problem and teach these providers a lesson".
Metazoxan
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonEyesJoe Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:02 pm

DOWNLOAD ALL THE ANIMES NOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

also, aside from someone like me being broke, is this really a bad thing?
DemonEyesJoe
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 997
Key / Visual Art's Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaysp656 Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:09 pm

Well, the more power they are allowed to have the more they will take. Maybe next we will all have id cards to allow us to even access the Internet. That way they know every little thing we type or click no matter where we are.
Jaysp656
Jaysp656
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Blazer Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:15 pm

Fear mongering. Propaganda. Meta you should be a politician or something.
Blazer
Blazer
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by Metazoxan Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:23 pm

Blazer wrote:Fear mongering. Propaganda. Meta you should be a politician or something.
You know you aren't the first person to say that.
Metazoxan
Metazoxan
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by Blazer Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:25 pm

Metazoxan wrote:
Blazer wrote:Fear mongering. Propaganda. Meta you should be a politician or something.
You know you aren't the first person to say that.

I bet not ;D
Blazer
Blazer
Saiya-Jin

Back to top Go down

Post by CreaminFreeman Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:07 pm

So does this only apply for p2p or for any download in general?
CreaminFreeman
CreaminFreeman
Shinsengumi

Male Posts : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Natsuru-san Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:13 pm

bedheadred wrote:Internet service providers, such as AT&T and Verizon, are beginning to implement The Copyright Alert System this week. The warning system will alert users if their IP addresses have been linked to allegedly unauthorized file-sharing through peer-to-peer software.

So does this only apply to downloading shows and movies online to our computers or what?

Also this is terrible. People PAY THEM money FOR service and they should NEVER slow, halt etc. what their paying for. If they do then the customer should pay less since their now getting less. Oh and yeah, if anyone wants to use what I just said go right ahead. I'm not liking this one little itty bit. While I don't DL any shows and movies online I don't like this at all. Tis not right. What's next? Not being able to watch shows & movies online on sites other than YouTube, Netflix, Hulu etc. (Legal sites to watch em on) Dear gosh no. That's too cruel.
Natsuru-san
Natsuru-san
Saiya-Jin

Female Posts : 707
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by - The Rose - Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:17 pm

it clearing says in the article "peer to peer downloading". so yea its just that for now, direct downloading takes a bit more work to track. so yea sites like mediafire will be a hot spot in the near future thus it will fall like mega did eventually
- The Rose -
- The Rose -
Shinigami

Male Posts : 313

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next