JustDubs Online No Subs Just Dubs JustDubsOnline.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Video game maker Atari files for bankruptcy.

+4
Dcmac
Kusanagi
MiniSiets
Keiichi Morisato
8 posters

Go down

Video game maker Atari files for bankruptcy. Empty Video game maker Atari files for bankruptcy.

Post by Keiichi Morisato Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:48 am

Say it aint so!!!

Video game company Atari SA said it has filed for bankruptcy protection in Paris and New York after it failed to find a successor to main shareholder and sole lender BlueBay.

The US operations plan, in addition, to separate from their French parent to seek independent capital to grow in
digital and mobile games, Atari Inc said in a statement on Monday.

The US businesses plan to sell or restructure all or almost all of their assets in the next three to four months and are seeking $5.25 million in financing from Tenor Capital, Atari Inc added.

Atari SA said it had taken the steps to protect itself from creditors as its credit facility with BlueBay was due on March 31 and because of the "strain on cash resources" due to "adverse trading conditions and limited development funds".

Atari SA said no investor had been willing to replace BlueBay as its reference shareholder and main creditor because of its French listing, complicated capital structure and the difficult economic and operating environment.

The company said it owes 21 million euros ($28 million) to BlueBay.

Atari SA Chief Executive Jim Wilson said the company's decision to seek bankruptcy protection was the best option to protect the company and shareholders, and said it would seek to maximise proceeds.

Atari Inc added: "The Chapter 11 process constitutes the most strategic option for Atari's US operations, as they look to preserve their inherent value and unlock revenue potential unrealised while under the control of Atari SA."

Atari's game titles include Pong, Asteroids, Centipede, Missile Command, Battlezone and Tempest.

Source
Keiichi Morisato
Keiichi Morisato
Professional Procrastinator

Male Posts : 877
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Video game maker Atari files for bankruptcy. Empty Re: Video game maker Atari files for bankruptcy.

Post by MiniSiets Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:27 am

Kinda sad it had to end this way but to be honest I can't recall a single game I've played from them in recent memory. They just aren't what they used to be.
MiniSiets
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Video game maker Atari files for bankruptcy. Empty Re: Video game maker Atari files for bankruptcy.

Post by Kusanagi Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:53 am

MiniSiets wrote:Kinda sad it had to end this way but to be honest I can't recall a single game I've played from them in recent memory. They just aren't what they used to be.

Agreed. They are history and made good classics, but they haven't done anything notable recently to the extent of my knowledge. It sucks, but it isn't unfair or unreasonable.
Kusanagi
Kusanagi

Male Posts : 291
The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcmac Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:09 am

Atari sucks, and this isn't even the same Atari that made the 2600, etc. Some company just snatched up the brand to sell nostalgic crap, and I'm guessing the cycle will repeat itself.
Dcmac
Dcmac
Gillian

Male Posts : 74
Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonEyesJoe Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:03 pm

the US division will say in force, which i guess is ok, as most of the games we probally know of came from it (recent games anyway) outside of that....idk, i just hope sega doesnt fall the same path, an old classic, forced into software-only, then dieing off
DemonEyesJoe
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 997
Key / Visual Art's Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Doomguy Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:17 pm

So what will happen to Pong's sequel?

Seriously though it's just the sign of the times. They'll be other video game companies to always pick up the slack.
Doomguy
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonEyesJoe Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:11 am

i think EA and Activion need to get a nip in the butt, these super producers are making these smaller guys go bankrupt.
DemonEyesJoe
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Keiichi Morisato Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:12 am

DemonEyesJoe wrote:i think EA and Activion need to get a nip in the butt, these super producers are making these smaller guys go bankrupt.

Neither one of them give two shits about gamers.
Keiichi Morisato
Keiichi Morisato

Male Posts : 877
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club i4Japan The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonEyesJoe Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:48 am

Keiichi Morisato wrote:
DemonEyesJoe wrote:i think EA and Activion need to get a nip in the butt, these super producers are making these smaller guys go bankrupt.

Neither one of them give two shits about gamers.

Battlefield 3 broke my heart, it was great it and of itself, but, it wasnt what was promised, at all, there was alot of lieing, and alot of BS, i dont want to go into this, but you can look it up how much BF3 screwed over BF fans to appeal to the COD fanbase, and console gamers, even though PC was always its main platform, but we got the port
DemonEyesJoe
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Belsfir Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:47 am

Wait? Atari was still alive up to now?
Belsfir
Belsfir
Bronze Saint

Male Posts : 138
Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by BK-201 Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:36 am

Sad but unavoidable. I used to have an Atari 1040stfm and had loads of fun playing games on it but it was also great for word processing.

Video game maker Atari files for bankruptcy. Atari520ST
BK-201
BK-201
Shinigami

Male Posts : 247
The Anime Cafe Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club Film Club i4Japan The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum