JustDubs Online No Subs Just Dubs JustDubsOnline.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anime Saturdays: My Neighbor Totoro

+2
Miss Elegent Serenity
Sporadic
6 posters

Go down

Anime Saturdays: My Neighbor Totoro Empty Anime Saturdays: My Neighbor Totoro

Post by Sporadic Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:37 pm

Like always, you can participate in this discussion if you watched the movies with the group or not. These discussion threads are for everyone.

All I can really say is this movie is highly overrated. There's essentially little plot and zero conflict till the end. The only good part was the cat bus and joking about how Totoro is a rapist. I kept waiting for something to happened the entire time. But when an hour passed I soon realized nothing was going to happen. They force conflict at the very end because the little sister gets lost after she gets angry going to visit her mother. A very minor conflict that was resolved in about 10 minutes, essentially adding the shit cherry to the moldy cake that is My Neighbor Totoro.
Sporadic
Sporadic
Content Director
Content Director

Male Posts : 1174
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Anime Saturdays: My Neighbor Totoro Empty Re: Anime Saturdays: My Neighbor Totoro

Post by Miss Elegent Serenity Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:44 pm

i would have to agree, it was an ok movie, i kinda got rather bored with it, the only interesting part was all the comments that were made in the chat throughout the movie then the movie itself, the cat bus was probably the only interesting thing in the movie lol
2/10 is my rating for the movie

until next week.....
Miss Elegent Serenity
Miss Elegent Serenity
Bronze Saint

Female Posts : 88
Film Club

Back to top Go down

Anime Saturdays: My Neighbor Totoro Empty Re: Anime Saturdays: My Neighbor Totoro

Post by Sporadic Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:54 pm

2/10 seems appropriate. I rated it the same.
Sporadic
Sporadic
Content Director
Content Director

Back to top Go down

Post by MiniSiets Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:00 pm

Sporadic wrote:All I can really say is this movie is highly overrated. There's essentially little plot and zero conflict till the end. The only good part was the cat bus and joking about how Totoro is a rapist. I kept waiting for something to happened the entire time. But when an hour passed I soon realized nothing was going to happen. They force conflict at the very end because the little sister gets lost after she gets angry going to visit her mother. A very minor conflict that was resolved in about 10 minutes, essentially adding the shit cherry to the moldy cake that is My Neighbor Totoro.
My thoughts exactly. And with that, My Neighbor Totoro has the honor and privilege of being my first 1/10 rating on MAL. Congratulations Totoro!

Last edited by MiniSiets on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
MiniSiets
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:02 pm

Sporadic wrote:The only good part was the cat bus and joking about how Totoro is a rapist.

This pretty much sums it up lol.

2/10 from me aswell.
Bato
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 852
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonEyesJoe Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:22 pm

i have a childs soul, so i enjoyed it quite a bit, i give it a 5/10 there really was no plot, but the characters were cute, and the concept was cute too

5/10
DemonEyesJoe
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 997
Key / Visual Art's Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:27 am

I wonder if its just a coincedence that i see this picture on facebook 1 day after watching Totoro

Anime Saturdays: My Neighbor Totoro 62448_10151493443434594_1288348284_n
Bato
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by Mafiacow Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:37 am

I enjoyed it, but it didn't live up to the hype. One of the people at school last year cosplayed as Totoro for muckup day, and I mentioned how I'd never seen it. Everyone immediately yelled at me "Rah rah rah! How have you not seen it?! Totoro is amazing!" Thus I had high expectations.
From watching Lucky Star, I'm used to lack of much story. The catbus was awesome, and the chat was amusing.

I guess I'd give it 5/10.

I like men! I slept with Bato, Natsu, Roy, Maddy, YoSo, Red, DemonEyesJoe, Great_Oak and Wampa!
Mafiacow
Mafiacow
Saiya-Jin

Male Posts : 130

Back to top Go down

Post by Bato Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:47 am

Mafiacow wrote:
I like men! I slept with Bato, Natsu, Roy, Maddy, YoSo, Red, DemonEyesJoe, Great_Oak and Wampa!

No we didnt Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, this shows how countrys are so different. Here in Holland you wont hear anyone about Totoro and probably 95% of the people have never seen it.
Bato
Bato
Vasto Lorde

Back to top Go down

Post by MiniSiets Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:29 am

I feel like they could have actually gone somewhere with this movie too. I was expecting perhaps a Fern Gully save-the-forest tree-hugging message or something in there, and they could have had some conflict where Totoro's home was about to be taken down from some big bad corporation moving in to turn a profit, but nope, it's just random running around and giggling for 80% of the movie, and nothing ever really happened. No great injustice to long for resolution; just a whole lot of pointlessness. I get that the movie was aiming for that nostalgic feeling of being a kid and wanting to go out and explore the wilderness, and it's true that I loved doing that as a kid, but if someone came to me and said, "Hey, let's make a movie about that!" and that's *ALL* they want it to be about, that's not enough material to make a good movie. There are just some things where it's a big difference between watching it from your computer desk versus actually experiencing it, and it's just a big waste of time to try and substitute for the real thing.
MiniSiets
MiniSiets
Mad Scientist
Mad Scientist

Male Posts : 362
Film Club The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:08 am

MiniSiets wrote:Fern Gully save-the-forest tree-hugging message or something

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought so. That would have made the movie a little enjoyable at least.
Sporadic
Sporadic
Content Director
Content Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down