JustDubs Online No Subs Just Dubs JustDubsOnline.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What the hell is wrong with teenagers nowadays?

+17
Shadow_Links
MiniSiets
Belsfir
Doomguy
Colme
watermonkey319
Paper Tiger
Jemenex
Tsuyushi
SoulEater
Kaleb_K
SkepticalDragon
Valvatorez
bedheadred
Sporadic
Metazoxan
MrLincecum
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What the hell is wrong with teenagers nowadays? - Page 2 Empty Re: What the hell is wrong with teenagers nowadays?

Post by Colme Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:48 pm

Kaleb_K wrote:@SkepticalDragon; I understand your point of view, and agree that there just s many, if not more experts that says physical punishments are ineffective. I was raised with physical punishment, but afterwards, my father would talk to me, tell me what I did wrong, and explain why it deserved such a severe punishment.

Could you cite some research? Virtually all research that exists suggests that any level of corporal punishment does more harm than good.

Here is some:
- American Academy of Pediatrics: "Corporal punishment is of limited effectiveness and has potentially deleterious side effects."
- Family Research Laboratory: "The findings suggest that if parents replace corporal punishment by nonviolent modes of discipline, it could reduce the risk of [Anti-Social Behavior] among children and reduce the level of violence in American society.
- American Psycological Association: "Parental corporal punishment was associated with all child constructs, including higher levels of immediate compliance and aggression and lower levels of moral internalization and mental health."
- Department of Psyciatry, Harvard: "Exposing children to harsh [Corporal Punishment] may have detrimental effects on trajectories of brain development."
- Austrailian Psychological Society: "[Corporal Punishment] encourages an acceptance of aggression and violence as acceptable responses to conflicts and problems."
Colme
Colme
Bronze Saint

The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

What the hell is wrong with teenagers nowadays? - Page 2 Empty Re: What the hell is wrong with teenagers nowadays?

Post by Belsfir Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:04 am

Kaleb_K wrote:@SkepticalDragon; I understand your point of view, and agree that there just s many, if not more experts that says physical punishments are ineffective. I was raised with physical punishment, but afterwards, my father would talk to me, tell me what I did wrong, and explain why it deserved such a severe punishment. Like I said, it was not often that I got spanked. I also agree with he "like father, like son." Idea, my parents set a good example, and always enforced ideas like it was good to be honest, work hard, be appreciative, and reserve judgment for when you know someone. This kind of punishment worked for me, that is the biggest reason why I believe in it. The kind of behaviors that received spankings in my house were severe lies (ones that got others into trouble and such),violent behaviors, any kind of stealing, and talking back to my parents (not just being sarcastic, but actual disrespectful things like insults). I was not spanked for accidentaly breaking things, in fact I once broke my fathers $2000 bass guitar, and he told me to sit in my room until he had calmed down, and when he had, he came into my room to tell me he had set up a summer job with a friend of his, and I would work bailing hay to pay off the repair bills.

When it comes to lying, my parents told me that they trusted my word, and when I was caught lying, my father punished me, When I had settled down after the punishment he came and and told me, "When you lie that way, it tells me and you mothers that we cannot trust you. What would happen if you came to us with a serious problem and we did not know whether to believe you or not, because you constantly lie to keep yourself out of trouble." since he explained that to me, I have always been honest with my parents, and owned up to the problems I have created for myself or others. I don't believe spanking is the ONLY recourse for a child's actions, but it is a consequence that weights heavy when a child thinks of doing something they are aware is bad, and that kept me from doing many things I was not supposed to. The fact that what I did wrong was explained, and I was told how to correct it, is also a large part in why I was not a problem child. This is mostly just my opinion, I've seen many problem children just in my family because the parents lack any form of discipline to correct their children.

I don't think there is a definite answer to punishments. It really is dependent on the situation, and the family. Most families are different, and the level of respect for the members of the family vary from one to another. Experts can debate all they want on it generally, but they can't go from family to family to determine it. I am no fan of physical punishment, but if I do have a family of my own, I hope to achieve such a level of respect whereas my disapproval would be an effective means of punishment.
Belsfir
Belsfir
Bronze Saint

Male Posts : 138
Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow_Links Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:42 pm

The way i see things is that teenagers keep pushing the boundaries of what they get away with. This happens at differing levels of severity in every generation. Violence, bullying, rebellion, and other various rule breaking. And it happens at 2 years old to college years. [luckily im at a decent college where i've just had something incomprehensible yelled at me]

The stem of it is just that humans just want to see what they can do. [A more productive form would be building rockets to the moon, you get the idea]

The big question is how to prevent "bad" behavior and i think most would agree the answer is parenting. Corporal punishment, which covers spanking, belting, paddling, hitting in the face and worse, is obviously debatable in its effectiveness. [personally I was spanked (i made sure it was very few), and i'm pretty sure i turned out fine if not better than anyone my age, so i felt it was effective. Or at least the method my parents used was.]

Also i found this piece interesting about the studies.
"The studies cited by both spanking supporters and detractors are hardly infallible. For starters, you can't study physical punishment in the randomized, double-blind way you can with, say, drug trials. The findings can merely point to an association between spanking and negative (or positive) outcomes rather than a clearly defined cause and effect. So it comes down to a chicken-and-egg problem of sorts: Are kids spanked because they misbehave, or do they misbehave more because they're spanked?"

As for the one being bullied there are many ways to prevent that. The issue is finding what works to stop that particular bully. For example, I was picked on in middle and early high school. But when they found out I was a varsity wrestler, they gained respect for me [who knew?]. Another thing i did was work out a deal to tutor them. [another oddity]. As for random people driving by.....idk. Take a route that isn't by a road i guess?

As for girls....girls in anime are a trap! They don't exist and comparing RL to them is a path you don't want to go down.
Shadow_Links
Shadow_Links
Shinigami

Male Posts : 142
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by SkepticalDragon Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:26 pm

There are studies that have controlled for "levels of aggression" or other factors that might confuse the results of these studies. While I am a skeptic and willing to suspend judgment, the scientific evidence is not on the side of corporal punishment. But really one of the problems of corporal punishment is that it teaches a child that sometimes violence is an answer, which is a terrible lesson to give a child, as it also encourages the child to believe that unfair behavior is acceptable because the world tends to be unfair (I realize that this is an understatement). But also as in my previous post I discussed the problem that if the child isn't correctly taught and given good example that punishment serves little to no purpose. Which also as I have mentioned there are nations that have fully prohibited corporal punishment and have seemingly suffered no ill affects from it which raises the question why is it needed?

My understanding is that spanking is shown to be ineffective at reforming behavior and increases a child's risk of developing behavioral problems later in life including but not limited to: socialization issues, depression, anxiety, substance abuse, and aggression. Which seemed to be confirmed by the studies mentioned by Colme when I glanced at them. My opinion is that there are better approaches to parenting and the wealth of knowledge that we are gathering should contribute into future discussion on how we approach what is deemed misbehavior. Personally being partially of German decent I am proud that my fatherland has prohibited corporal punishment.
SkepticalDragon
SkepticalDragon
Lab Member

Male Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by hydroponiks Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:58 am

lots of things is wrong with them now a days
hydroponiks
hydroponiks
Gillian

The New Release Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaysp656 Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:37 pm

I blame regular TV and Cartoons, many only teach that kids are smarter than their parents. How many cartoons or shows like Wizards of Waverly Place have smart parents? Also the "fake" audience laughs at every little stupid joke in those shows.

(I know that this isn't the only thing but I find it really annoying)
Jaysp656
Jaysp656
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 301
The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Colme Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:22 pm

Jaysp656 wrote:I blame regular TV and Cartoons, many only teach that kids are smarter than their parents. How many cartoons or shows like Wizards of Waverly Place have smart parents? Also the "fake" audience laughs at every little stupid joke in those shows.

(I know that this isn't the only thing but I find it really annoying)

I'm with you, to an extent. I think careful parenting could inoculate kids against such shows, but I think electronic distractions (T.V., internet, cell phones) certainly play a role in many of the youth issues we see today, especially studiousness and attentiveness.
Colme
Colme
Bronze Saint

The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Enigma Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:32 am

People suck. Period. Next time one stops and says shit bash their window out and crack open their skull. I'm tired of all of this unrealistic shit being spewed around about bullying. You want them to stop, fuck them up. Period.

As far as girls go, again, people suck. Though, as you've seen with your close circle of friends, not all people suck. This is the same for girls/women. Sometimes you have to struggle to find your partner. It's not always easy. It can take years, decades, you never know. Statistically though, you'll find someone for you. Someone who isn't just genetic filth.
Enigma
Enigma
Gillian

Male Posts : 110
Designing Club The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by higurashi_conan Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:39 am

well since im still in school i have relised they have been getting dumber and dumber and are acting lik complete idiots i dont because its stupid and it has no benefits in anime
higurashi_conan
higurashi_conan
Gillian

Male Posts : 87
The New Release Club Key / Visual Art's Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Doomguy Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:37 pm

Remember folks. It's always the stupid and loudmouths who make it on the news and get talked about. We really need to talk about the good things people can do...
Doomguy
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaysp656 Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:51 pm

I agree Doom, Just look at politicians
Jaysp656
Jaysp656
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 301
The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Colme Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:45 pm

Jaysp656 wrote:I agree Doom, Just look at politicians

Politicians are actually the perfect example of what Doom was saying. I know plenty of great politicians, you just never hear about them because they're doing their job well and nobody is interested in that I suppose.
Colme
Colme
Bronze Saint

The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Doomguy Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:57 am

Politicians......good? Mind explodes from the shear thought!

JK I know on the small local level they are usually more involved with the people around them. Now if only all those teens use their energy on something useful like that. It can actually be pretty fun painting buildings and planting new trees. You meet new people you know?
Doomguy
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Belsfir Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:41 am

Doomguy wrote:Remember folks. It's always the stupid and loudmouths who make it on the news and get talked about. We really need to talk about the good things people can do...

I always say that the most radical have the loudest voice. Its often grounds for stereotype formation....

Doomguy wrote:Politicians......good? Mind explodes from the shear thought!

JK I know on the small local level they are usually more involved with the people around them. Now if only all those teens use their energy on something useful like that. It can actually be pretty fun painting buildings and planting new trees. You meet new people you know?

Something strikes me when thinking of politicians and teenagers. They can are both be drama queens who stop at nothing to win popularity.
Belsfir
Belsfir
Bronze Saint

Male Posts : 138
Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Colme Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Belsfir wrote:Something strikes me when thinking of politicians and teenagers. They can are both be drama queens who stop at nothing to win popularity.

So can any person. Sweeping generalizations do a disservice to those who don't fit them.
Colme
Colme
Bronze Saint

The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2