JustDubs Online No Subs Just Dubs JustDubsOnline.net
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Name your antivirus

+13
Jaysp656
Hikikomori
bedheadred
Valvatorez
MiniSiets
Blazer
plantkingman
Roy Blue
Bato
Keiichi Morisato
Ovyda
Sporadic
Doomguy
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Name your antivirus - Page 2 Empty Re: Name your antivirus

Post by Jaysp656 Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:21 am

On Windows 8 MSE is Defender. They combined them. Thought they took away the context menu items for files and folders for some reason.
Jaysp656
Jaysp656
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 301
The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Doomguy Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:16 pm

I don't know anything about Windows Defender, but I do know that Vista's user account countrol made it so annoying to open some of my exe files. I understand the point of it but man it pops up for everything.
Doomguy
Doomguy
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 492
The Anime Cafe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaysp656 Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:50 pm

There might be ways to disable it...
Jaysp656
Jaysp656
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 301
The League of Legends Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Sporadic Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:55 pm

MiniSiets wrote:From what I understand, Tor protects your anonymity from surveillance services by scrambling your Internet connection across its own private network, but doesn't necessarily protect you from infections. NoScript is more of a preemptive approach to security than antiviruses by blocking all scripts on webpages by default and whitelisting ones that you trust, allowing you to view the sections of a website that you need while keeping scripts from ads and other third party sources blocked which is where 99% of malware comes from. It might seem cumbersome at first, but once you have your usual set of trustworthy sources whitelisted, you forget it's even there. Personally I think the tradeoff is easily worth it considering you don't really need an antivirus afterward, which saves a lot of system performance depending on what you were using before.

Also it goes without saying Norton and McAfee suck. Especially McAfee, which is bloated to hell and still gets infected. I also don't like AVG; it might protect you well but it's a resource hog, or at least that's been my experience with it. Maybe the newer versions might have gotten better, but I'd be skeptical of that. And Windows Defender... seriously. Just disable that POS. It's the first thing I do on every fresh install of Windows. Completely useless. I don't even know why Microsoft still bothers to update it now that they have the superior Microsoft Security Essentials. I disable User Account Control as well because it does nothing to protect you and adds a whole lot of pointless "ARE YOU REALLY REALLY SURE?" dialogs in the process.

TOR has NoScript tagged along with it. Should have specified what I meant.
Sporadic
Sporadic
Content Director
Content Director

Male Posts : 1174
The Anime Cafe The New Release Club Film Club

Back to top Go down

Post by DemonEyesJoe Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:52 am

windows defender Very Happy
DemonEyesJoe
DemonEyesJoe
Vasto Lorde

Male Posts : 997
Key / Visual Art's Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by Nonononoki Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:22 am

I use AVG + Windows Defender + Spybot S&D Very Happy
Nonononoki
Nonononoki
Shinigami

Male Posts : 205

Back to top Go down

Post by BK-201 Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:14 pm

I use Kaspersky.
BK-201
BK-201
Shinigami

Male Posts : 247
The Anime Cafe Key / Visual Art's Club Designing Club Film Club i4Japan The League of Legends Club The Vocaloid Club

Back to top Go down

Post by vashnik Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:27 am

The first AntiVirus I ever used was Norton, back when it was actually pretty good and not a resource hog. Then I moved to AVG. Later I moved to Avast! AV, which I removed from my Sony Vaio (WinXP) machine because it became a resource hog and the installation became corrupt and wouldn't even update anymore, so I have Comodo Anti-Virus. While on my Win7 machine, I installed ESET Internet Security after removing Avast! Anti Virus, but then I couldn't get anything to stream to my PS3 and I didn't understand the firewall so I removed that and went with Comodo Internet Security and it's been there since.
Now that I have a 4th laptop (by the way, I have a WinXP, WinVista, Win7, and Win8), I dumped Nortan which was pre-installed and just kept Windows Defender and Windows Firewall active. As long as I don't have any problems with those, I'm not adding anymore extra to it, since I don't visit a lot of the sites that are known to be suspicious.

All my machines (except for Win8) have Spybot S&D 1.x installed. 2.x has one hell of an ugly interface compared to the 1.x version.

Last edited by vashnik on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spybot version clarification)
vashnik
vashnik
Lab Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum